Sean joined Ropes & Gray’s litigation and enforcement practice group in January 2021. His practice focuses on government enforcement and internal investigations, and he regularly represents corporate clients in in the life sciences, consumer goods and financial services industries. Sean also has experience with various stages of civil litigation and arbitration.
Sean advises clients on compliance with anti-bribery/anti-corruption laws, anti-money laundering laws, trade compliance and other regulatory issues. He regularly assists clients with government enforcement investigations, internal investigations, compliance audits and risk assessments, as well as helping clients conduct transactional due diligence and devise post-investment compliance integration plans. Sean also assists in representing asset management clients across a broad range of practice areas including complex civil litigation, government enforcement actions, regulatory inquiries such as SEC and FINRA examinations, and internal investigations.
Government Enforcement and Investigations
- Represented an international pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturer in numerous investigations into alleged violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and the UK Bribery Act in Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.
- Conducted an investigation on behalf of an international pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturer into alleged antitrust violations in Asia and Europe.
- Assisted with a medical device manufacturer’s internal investigation of its Asian subsidiary, arising from whistleblower allegations of corruption and bribery.
- Conducted pre-acquisition anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, economic sanctions, and export controls compliance due diligence for private equity firms operating in high-risk jurisdictions.
- Represented a medical device manufacturer in relation to multiple Second Requests from the Federal Trade Commission.
- Advised a private equity firm in SEC and DOJ inquiry related to alleged insider trading.
- Advised several large venture capital funds and hedge funds in connection with comprehensive SEC exams focused on issues under the Investment Advisers Act of 1940.
- Successfully defended a national retailer from a consumer class action alleging violations of various state consumer protection acts in the Southern District of New York.
- Provided pre-litigation advice to a multinational pharmaceutical company regarding contractual obligations.
- Conducts anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, economic sanctions, and export controls compliance due diligence related to charitable grants for non-profit organizations in Ukraine for BlueCheck Ukraine.