Gil Ghatan is counsel in the tax practice, focusing his practice on nonprofit and tax-exempt organizations.
Gil regularly advises colleges and universities, health care organizations, private foundations and other nonprofit and tax-exempt clients in connection with affiliations, acquisitions, mergers, dissolutions, joint ventures, unrelated business income tax matters, executive compensation, and employee benefit plans.
- Provided tax and benefits counsel in connection with multiple different affiliations of community hospitals, large hospital systems and academic medical centers.
- Assisted multiple hospitals and healthcare systems regarding compliance with the additional requirements under section 501(r) for tax-exemption of charitable hospitals, including representation before the IRS.
- Advised multiple for-profit companies regarding corporate charitable activities and formation of company foundations.
- Counseled organizations with respect to qualification under group exemption rules.
- Advised medical university in connection with formation of a technology transfer vehicle and negotiation of a collaboration agreement with a for-profit technology development corporation.
- Guided small college through expansion of its educational activities out of state, including establishing a restricted fund to support the new operations and negotiating an agreement for a substantial gift.