Franziska Hertel is a member of the firm’s tax department, focusing on the tax aspects of investment funds, partnership tax matters and representation of tax-exempt organizations. Franziska advises asset managers and investors of all types on the tax implications of their product offerings and investments. She is a go-to advisor for sponsors of both private and registered funds throughout the full life cycle of their offerings, from product structuring and formation to exit transactions. She regularly advises large institutional investors on all tax matters relating to their investment activities, with a particular expertise in advising tax-exempt endowments and high net worth individuals and their charitable foundations. Franziska also leads the firm's representation of a wide variety of tax-exempt organizations, including universities and health care organizations, on a broad range of matters, including transactions with for-profit and non-profit partners, internal structuring and tax controversy matters.
Franziska also maintains an active pro bono practice, focusing on immigration matters and matters involving 501(c)(3)s and other non-profit organizations.
- Advised first-of-its-kind impact fund on structuring, investor negotiations and investment transactions
- Advised fund sponsor on structuring of the first exchange-traded cryptocurrency fund
- Advises various credit fund sponsors, including Benefit Street Partners, on fund launches and operations
- Represents university endowments and leading charitable foundations in their investments in U.S. and international private equity and venture funds
- Advised on the sale of The Weather Company's B2B, mobile and cloud-based web properties to IBM
- Provided tax counsel to multiple healthcare systems in affiliation transactions with both non-profit and for-profit parties
- Assisted prominent tax-exempt organizations in internal restructuring transactions, including representing them in state Attorneys General and court proceedings
- Represented flagship state university system in IRS audit and appeals proceedings
- Regularly counsels leading mutual funds and their independent trustees, including the State Street Global Advisors Funds and Voya Funds, on issues surrounding fund formation, reorganization and tax compliance