Bob Kane practices in Ropes & Gray’s tax practice. His practice encompasses both mergers and acquisitions and sponsor-side fund work—a dual focus that gives him an unusually broad perspective on a wide range of important tax considerations, including partnership tax issues.
Clients value Bob’s ability to bring a certified public accountant’s perspective to complex tax matters. He advises on the tax aspects of domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, and also counsels sponsors on tax issues associated with the formation and operation of private investment funds, including treaty funds and rated note funds.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Bob served as a law clerk to the Honorable Robert P. Ruwe on the U.S. Tax Court from 2012 to 2014. A certified public accountant, he has worked in the audit and tax practices of Big Four accounting firms.
Bob writes widely on tax-related topics, particularly those associated with partnership and S corporation tax considerations. His pro bono practice has included representation of clients in tax controversy matters with the IRS.
- Represented Thoma Bravo in its acquisition of Bomgar Corporation.
- Represented American Industrial Partners in its acquisition of Gerber Technology.
- Represented Surgery Partners, Inc. and its sponsor H.I.G. Capital LLC in Surgery Partners’ initial public offering and subsequent high yield debt offering.
- Advise PIMCO on private fund formation matters.
- Advise a global private equity fund of funds platform on fund investments and co-investments.
- Represented HealthSouth Corporation in its acquisition of CareSouth Health System Inc.
- Represented DAVIDsTEA, Inc. in its initial public offering.
- Represented Optimas OE Solutions and its sponsor American Industrial Partners in its high yield debt offering in connection with the LBO of the Anixter Fasteners business.
- Represented Dunkin’ Brands, Inc. on its $2.6 billion whole-business securitization.