Alexandru Mocanu is counsel in the finance department of Ropes & Gray’s London office.
Alexandru regularly represents private equity sponsors, borrowers as well as arrangers, underwriters, bank syndicates and private credit funds in cross-border acquisition financing transactions, corporate reorganisations and refinancing transactions, executed under New York or English law in the U.S., European, Asian and Latin American finance markets.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray in April 2015, Alexandru worked in both New York and London at another international U.S. firm.
- Advised Altice International on an incremental term loan in the aggregate principal amount of €800 million
- Advised Baring EQT in partnership with its portfolio company, Tricor, in connection with debt financing for the merger of Vistra with Tricor in a transaction which values the combined company at an enterprise value of US$6.5 billion
- Advised Altice USA on the successful pricing of a new US$2 billion 5-year senior secured term loan B for CSC Holdings, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Altice USA
- Advised Altice International S.à r.l. on the successful refinancing of €1.7 billion (equivalent) of term loans and on the raising of €400 million (equivalent) of new term loans
- Advised InfraBuild, Australia's largest vertically integrated steel long manufacturer, on a US$350 million asset-backed term loan
- Advised Altice France in its €5.9 billion refinancing alongside raising €150 million of new term loans and extending its €1 billion revolving credit facilities.
- Acted for Cabletica, a Liberty Latin America affiliate, on the addition of a delayed draw Term Loan facility including a US$228 million Term Loan B, US$59 million Term Loan B denominated in Costa Rican Colones, and a US$15 million RCF in connection with financing for the acquisition of Telefonica Costa Rica
- Acted for LCPR Loan Financing LLC, a Liberty Latin America affiliate, on a US$500 million Term Loan B used for refinancing purposes
- Acted for Baring PE Asia, one of Asia's largest private alternative investment firms, in connection with the debt financing commitments for the acquisition of Tricor Group, at an enterprise value of US$2.76 billion
- Acted for Cable & Wireless, a Liberty Latin America affiliate, on a US$590 million Term Loan B used for refinancing purposes
- Acted for Sotheby’s on a Term Loan B of approximately US$470 million (and successive refinancings) and a US$400 million revolving credit facility
- Acted for a family office in connection with a senior & mezzanine real estate loan financing in an aggregate principal amount of €775 million secured by one of the world’s largest data centre
- Acted for Altice France in connection with the financing commitments for their initial €1 billion bid to acquire Covage and the financing structure of the subsequent €667 million bridge loan joint bid by Altice France and a consortium led by OMERS
- Acted on the financing in connection with acquisitions by XpFibre Holding, a joint venture of Altice France and a consortium of infrastructure investors including OMERS, Allianz and AXA, including on a term loan facility in an aggregate principal amount of €525 million, and a bridge term loan facility in an aggregate principal amount of €175 million, to finance the rollout of fiber-to-the home connections in France
- Acted for Next Alt S.à r.l, an entity controlled by Patrick Drahi, the founder and majority shareholder of Altice Europe, now New Altice Europe B.V., on the financing aspects of its take-private of Altice Europe
- Acted for BidFair Limited and its affiliates in connection with the financing aspects of the acquisition of Sotheby’s, a previously NYSX listed company
- Acted for Altice USA on the financing of its approximately US$2.3 billion sale of 49.99% of its Lightpath fiber enterprise business to Morgan Stanley Infrastructure Partners
- Acted for Samsonite International S.A., the world’s largest travel luggage company, on the offering of €350 million 3.5% Senior Notes due 2026 by Samsonite Finco S.a r.l.
- Acted for Harbin Pharmaceutical Group Holding Co., Ltd in connection with the financing aspects of strategic investment of approximately $300 million in GNC Holdings, Inc.
- Acted for a syndicate of banks in the combination of Intrum Justitia and Lindorff in connection with financing commitments - €3 billion equivalent unsecured notes and a €1.1 billion revolving credit facility
- Acted for the arranger and the revolving lender in connection with a $260 million first lien term loan and a $25 million super senior revolving credit loan facility for Navico, Inc.
- Acted for various credit groups of New Altice Europe B.V. in frequent refinancing, extension and amendment transactions for term loan, revolving credit facilities, guarantee facilities and bridge facilities
- Acted for purchasers in connection with the purchase of second lien notes issued by N&W Global Vending in a private high-yield transaction
- Acted for Altice N.V. on its cross-border equity and debt financing for the acquisition of Cablevision, the leading cable system operator in the New York metropolitan area. The $10.6 billion debt financing package included a $3.8 billion covenant lite term loan, $2 billion credit revolving facility and three tranches of high yield notes: the offering of US$1.8 billion 101/8% Senior Notes due 2023, US$2 billion 107/8% Senior Notes due 2025 and US$1 billion 65/8% Senior Guaranteed Notes due 2025 and Altice N.V also raised €1.6 billion via an equity placement through the accelerated book build method
- Represented Altice S.A. in connection with a “covenant lite” term loan and revolving credit facility for the acquisition of Suddenlink, the seventh largest cable system operator in the United States by Altice S.A.
- Acted for a major U.S. private equity sponsor in connection with the financing of the acquisition of the largest advanced wound care services provider in the U.S., in a transaction valued at US$910 million and subsequently, the add-on acquisition of the second largest advanced wound care services provider in the U.S.
- Acted for a major U.S. private equity sponsor in connection with the financing of the acquisition of a leading provider of hospital pharmacy- outsourced sterile compounding services
- Acted for a major music company in connection with the financing of its acquisition of a former division of EMI Music for a purchase price of approx. US$765 million