Dan is co-chair of the firm’s commercial litigation practice. He focuses his practice on securities litigation and enforcement matters and other complex commercial disputes, including the representation of private equity firms and their portfolio companies, hedge fund advisors, public companies, and boards of directors. Prior to joining the firm, Dan worked as a law clerk to Honorable Boyce F. Martin, Jr., of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit and as a litigation associate in the Boston office of another national law firm.
- Represented and advised multiple private equity advisors in SEC investigations and exams regarding fees, expenses, and potential conflicts of interest.
- Trial counsel for investment bank in a widely publicized five-week jury trial about the bank’s role as financial adviser in connection with a $600 million all-stock sale to a Belgian firm, prior to the revelations of that firm’s accounting fraud and its eventual bankruptcy. The trial culminated in a complete verdict for our client.
- Trial counsel for official committee of unsecured creditors in a bankruptcy court hearing regarding debtors’ proposed plan of reorganization.
- Successfully defeated a motion for a preliminary injunction on behalf of a real estate developer, in a dispute arising out of commercial tenant’s financing obligations.
- Represented institutional investment manager in SEC and state regulatory investigations, and in private investor claims, relating to investment losses arising from residential mortgage backed securities. Successfully represented company’s board of directors in obtaining motion to dismiss derivative claims arising from RMBS investment losses.
- Counsel for numerous private equity, hedge fund, venture capital, and public company clients in corporate governance and transactional disputes, including indemnity claims.
- Represented public companies, investment advisers, and investment banks in SEC and state regulatory investigations involving accounting practices, disclosures related to residential mortgage backed securities and auction rate securities, and securities trading practices.
- Represented asset manager in pursuit and settlement of claims related to non-delivery of exotic commodity contracts.
- Trial counsel for Massachusetts prisoner in civil rights case challenging adequacy of client’s medical care, resulting in a permanent injunction and invalidation of unconstitutional policies prohibiting certain medical treatments. Trial counsel to successful political asylee in immigration court.