Rohan Massey is a leader of the firm’s Data, Privacy and Cybersecurity practice and focuses his practice on data protection, data security, e-commerce, and IT. As well as advising on complex global data protection and security compliance programs, Rohan also advises on issues of risk and value in relation to data and intellectual property in corporate transactions. Rohan’s expertise focuses on the intersection of the extra-territorial scope of national data protection laws and data transfer issues for multinational organisations. Rohan has advised on a number of leading breach data management cases, and has assisted clients in successfully obtaining BCR approval from EU regulators. His industry-focused expertise covers asset management and financial services; life sciences and clinical trials; as well as media, sponsorship, advertising, sales promotions, and intellectual property issues, marketing issues in the sports apparel and food and drink sectors. His client base is international in scope, as he works extensively across Europe, the U.S. and Asia.
Rohan has recently been elected to Chair of the Sedona Conference’s 12th Annual Sedona Conference International Programme, and sits on The Sedona Conference’s WG 11. The mission of WG11 is to identify and comment on trends in data security and privacy law, in an effort to help organizations prepare for and respond to data breaches, and to assist attorneys and judicial officers in resolving questions of legal liability and damages.
Rohan is also the Secretary of the City of London Law Society Commercial Committee, and a member and active participant of the IAPP, having spoken at numerous conferences and events.
Rohan regularly writes for various industry publications. He is also a member of the editorial board of E-Commerce Law and Policy.
Articles Rohan has authored or co-authored include: “The UK’s Proposed Framework Code of Practice for Sharing Information,” World Data Protection Report; “Transfers of Clinical Research Data from the European Union to the United States,” BNA’s Medical Research Law and Policy Report; “The Growing Concerns of Identity Theft,” Electronic Business Law; “Sales Promotion in The International Sales and Marketing Practice,” Practical Law Company; “Ambush Marketing,” International Chamber of Commerce UK Handbook; “The Distance Marketing of Financial Services – A UK Overview,” Journal of Financial Services Marketing. Rohan also contributes to “Law in Action” on BBC Radio 4. World Trademark Review 1000 2016 – Recognized Rohan as being a “licensing and IP transactions cognoscente” who “manoeuvres shrewdly in the heavily regulated alcoholic beverage sector and backs up his IP know-how with expertise in ancillary areas such as privacy.”
- 3i Group plc, a leading international investment manager focused on mid-market private equity and infrastructure, and GartenHaus on the acquisition of Outdoor Toys, one of the UK’s leading online retailers of outdoor garden toys
- Integrated Media Company (IMC), a TPG platform dedicated to the new media ecosystem, on the acquisition of a majority stake in Goal from the DAZN Group
- Bain Capital on its acquisition of NGA UK, a UK payroll and HR Business from NGA Human Resources
- A UK client on the handling and reporting of a data breach relating to a customer database, which lead to the arrest of an individual charged with a criminal offence under the UK’s Data Protection Act
- A multinational client on global data privacy strategies, as well as drafting and implementing data privacy policies and procedures
- Oakley Capital on the acquisition of TechInsights, a technology patent analysis business
- Various international banks, multinationals and internet start-ups on e-commerce compliance audits and advising on website creation and disclaimers, online contracting and digital distribution as well as e-procurement, outsourcing and security issues
- On the intellectual property and technology issues arising in corporate transactions ranging from public market flotations to sale and acquisition of business
- Corporate clients on the structuring of intra-group licensing to maximise the commercial benefit from the exploitation of group-wide and subsidiary based intellectual property
- On promotion and marketing matters, including promotions and labelling, as well as trademarks, copyright, licensing and distribution issues
- Major sports teams and events in negotiating sponsorship deals