Kevin Nordin is an associate in Ropes and Gray’s anti-corruption and international risk group in London. He is a UK and Canadian qualified lawyer whose practice is focused on compliance with EU and UK sanctions and export controls, anti-bribery/anti-corruption laws, anti-money laundering laws and supply chain related issues. Kevin regularly advises clients on licensing applications, conducting transactional due diligence and managing compliance risks in the context of global operations, handling internal and external investigations and compliance audits, conducting risk assessments, preparing voluntary disclosures, engaging with government authorities on disclosures, the development and implementation of compliance policies and procedures, and devising post-investment compliance integration plans.
Kevin advises clients operating in a number of sectors including life sciences, financial services, energy and energy services, technology and telecommunications, consumer goods and retail, healthcare, defense, and transport.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Kevin was an associate at the London office of another international law firm. During his time at a previous firm, Kevin also spent seven months on secondment as in-house trade compliance counsel at a global leader in the oil and gas industry where he supported the business on compliance with global sanctions and export controls laws.
- Advised multiple global U.S. and EU companies on the impact of Brexit on their supply chain.*
- Assisted in leading an internal investigation for a multinational corporation in the mining sector into alleged violations of EU economic sanctions targeting Myanmar/Burma and provided strategic advice in relation to engagement with relevant authorities.*
- Advised a multinational corporation in the consumer goods industry on an internal investigation into alleged violations of EU economic sanctions against Syria.*
- Advised an EU subsidiary of a U.S. multinational in the energy sector on potential violations of EU arms embargo and sanctions against Russia.*
- Assisted in leading an internal investigation for a U.S. and EU based corporation in the oil and gas sector into potential violations of EU/UK sanctions and export controls targeting Russia and in the handling of a voluntary self-disclosure submitted to UK authorities.*
- Advised multiple EU companies on compliance with the EU blocking statute in relation to dealings with EU and non-EU based distributors in Iran.*
- Conducted due diligence, in collaboration with U.S. colleagues, on a potential target company’s compliance with EU and U.S. sanctions and export controls on behalf of an EU manufacturer in the automotive sector.*
- Provided day-to-day advice to companies on a broad range of issues related to compliance with EU sanctions programmes targeting Russia, Crimea, Iran, and Syria as well as in the preparation and submission of export licence applications.*
- Assisted companies in undertaking internal investigations and audits related to assessing compliance with EU sanctions programmes and drafting and submitting voluntary disclosures to UK authorities.*
- Assisted companies in the development of tailored export controls and sanctions compliance programmes.*
*Experience Prior to Joining Ropes & Gray