Chimso Okoji is an associate in the litigation and enforcement practice group. He focuses his practice on business and securities litigation, including corporate governance and shareholder suits, deal-related litigation, and other complex commercial disputes and arbitration matters. In addition, Chimso has considerable experience representing clients in investigations and enforcement actions brought by the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Department of Justice, and other financial regulatory agencies.
Chimso maintains an active pro bono practice, representing clients in the District of Columbia courts, as well as federal district courts, in various criminal and civil matters. Prior to law school, Chimso worked as a senior legislative assistant in the United States House of Representatives for a New York member of Congress.
Securities and Corporate Governance Litigation
- Represented Shari Redstone and National Amusements, Inc. against parallel actions in the Delaware Court of Chancery brought by former stockholders of Viacom and former stockholders of CBS challenging the multi-billion dollar merger of Viacom and CBS.
- Represented a private Delaware LLC in corporate governance dispute among board members and founder regarding claims of wrongful termination and fraud.
- Represented a private equity sponsor in expedited Delaware merger litigation concerning the application of a “material adverse event” clause in light of a public company’s post-closing performance.
- Represented a Chief Executive Officer in litigation against the SEC regarding allegations of insider trading.
- Represented a former public-company Chief Executive Officer in securities and derivative litigations arising out of a cybersecurity breach.
- Represented an officer and director in advancement litigation, including on appeal to the Delaware Supreme Court.
- Represented a former Chief Executive Officer in a derivative action asserting various breaches of fiduciary duties, including a Brophy claim under Delaware law.
- Represented and advised numerous companies in connection with disputes arising from mergers and acquisitions.
- Representing a private equity portfolio company in a JAMS Arbitration in connection with a post-closing dispute alleging breaches of representation and warranties.
- Representing a private equity portfolio company in a state supreme court appeal of a breach of contract claim.
- Represented one of the largest not-for-profit health insurers in a JAMS Arbitration alleging breach of contract and conversion.
- Represented a pharmaceutical manufacturer in aqui tamaction on appeal in the Ninth Circuit regarding the scope of liability for off-label promotion.
- Represented a leading investment management firm in litigation alleging breaches of contract and fiduciary duty, conversion, and fraud.
- Represented a biopharmaceutical company in a successful administrative appeal of an FDA decision.
- Represented the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) as amicus curiae in the U.S. Supreme Court in a case concerning the False Claims Act.
- Represented several mutual fund investment advisers against claims of excessive fees under Section 36(b) of the Investment Company Act.
- Counsel to numerous private equity, investment management, and public company clients in SEC inquires and enforcement actions involving a range of issues, including insider trading, accounting fraud and other disclosure issues.
- Representing multiple private equity and investment management clients in connection with SEC and DOL examinations and enforcement matters relating to ERISA fiduciary governance.
- Conducted investigation on behalf of a private equity company into allegations of criminal misconduct by a former member of senior management.
- Part of trial team that represented plaintiffs in a class action lawsuit against a state-run juvenile treatment facility, alleging violations of the Eighth and Fourteen Amendments arising out of excessive and punitive use of solitary confinement and fixed mechanical restraints. Ropes & Gray, along with co-counsel Children’s Rights and Disability Rights Iowa, litigated the case through a two-week trial, securing sweeping injunctive relief under the Fourteenth Amendment and the appointment of a monitor. Team was awarded firm-wide 2020 Pro Bono Team Award.
- Part of litigation team that represented criminal defendant in a wrongful conviction matter, securing an Alford plea, with a sentence of time served, following grant of petition for writ of actual innocence based on DNA evidence undermining homicide convictions and life sentences from trials in 1981 and 1983. Team was awarded firm-wide 2018 Pro Bono Team Award.