Chong is a seasoned trial lawyer with over 25 years experience serving as lead counsel in complex litigation and government investigations for companies and individuals. His practice focuses on antitrust, consumer protection, and complex/commercial litigation. He also actively participates in the data, privacy & cybersecurity group. Chong is a co-chair of the firm’s Diversity Committee and is a member of the firm’s Pro Bono Committee.
Based in Ropes & Gray’s Washington, D.C. and San Francisco offices, Chong is renowned for his experience as a litigator, having served five years as a senior trial attorney at the Federal Trade Commission, and previously as a Deputy City Attorney on the labor and employment and trial teams for the City and County of San Francisco.
Chong has first-chaired bench and jury trials in federal and state courts and has substantial experience in class action litigation and government enforcement actions. His practice focuses on high-stakes matters, representation in government regulatory proceedings and investigations, alternative dispute resolution, administrative litigation, and counseling. In proceedings initiated by government agencies, Chong has significant experience representing clients before the FTC, DOJ and the European Commission Directorate-General for Competition. He also has represented clients in proceedings initiated by various State Attorneys General.
Chong has represented companies in government investigations and as both plaintiffs and defendants in complex litigation. His clients come from diverse business sectors including technology, health care, pharmaceutical, telecommunications, manufacturing, financial services, food and beverage, and oil and gas.
Chong also maintains an active pro bono docket. He has had substantial experience in handling criminal matters and appeals, immigration and asylum cases, disability and civil rights matters, and he was lead counsel for the American Bar Association and individual plaintiffs in the successful lawsuit challenging the Department of Education’s handling of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (“PSLF”). Chong also led a team that, in 2019, secured freedom for John Huffington, who had been wrongfully convicted of murder and spent 32 years in prison (10 on death row).
Chong is a triathlete, has a black belt in tae kwon do, and has competed on the local, state, and national levels in both disciplines.
- Representation of Johns Hopkins University in class action antitrust lawsuit – Corzo, et al., v. Brown University et al., Case No. 1:22-cv-00125 (N.D. Ill.)
- Successfully secured closure of ESG-related antitrust and consumer protection investigation of investment firm launched by state attorney general’s office.
- Secured dismissals with prejudice of federal class action lawsuits filed against Canada Goose – Lee v. Canada Goose US, Inc., Case No. 1:20-cv-09809 (S.D.N.Y. 2022) and Lin v. Canada Goose, Inc. 21-cv-07614 (S.D.N.Y. 2022).
- Secured summary judgment for Howard Hughes Medical Institute in connection with federal lawsuit – Lee v. Howard Hughes Med. Inst., (D. Mass. 2022)
- Successfully represented multinational technology company in connection with closure of DOJ investigation relating to standard setting conduct.
- Successfully represented Harvard Pilgrim in connection with DOJ review of merger with Tufts Health Plan.
- Successfully represented Eversource Energy in class action antitrust lawsuit seeking $3.66 Billion in damages - Breiding v. Eversource Energy. Secured dismissal of lawsuit and subsequent affirmance of dismissal by First Circuit.
- Advised H.I.G. Capital in $950 million acquisition of Avient Corp,’s distribution unit.
- Lead litigation/trial counsel representing RentPath in connection with FTC investigation and lawsuit relating to proposed merger with CoStar Group.
- Represented Englewood Health in connection with FTC review of proposed merger with Hackensack Meridian Health.
- Successfully represented Board members of health and wellness company in FTC investigation and lawsuit.
- Successfully represented technology company in connection with FTC investigation into alleged data breach.
- Successfully represented numerous companies in connection with FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection investigations.
- Lead trial counsel in California environmental arbitration relating to alleged water contamination.
- Lead litigation/trial counsel for DraftKings in connection with FTC preliminary injunction challenge of proposed merger with Fan Duel.