Alex, based in Ropes and Gray’s Washington, D.C. office, is a member of the firm’s governing policy committee and a former co-head of the firm’s litigation and enforcement practice group. Alex has extensive experience representing corporate entities and their executives in connection with litigation and investigations arising out of white collar criminal prosecutions, grand jury investigations, criminal antitrust investigations, and corporate compliance matters. Notably, Alex was recently selected by the Department of Justice (DOJ) to serve as the Foreign Corrupt Practice Act (FCPA) Independent Compliance Monitor for Glencore, a multinational commodity trading and mining company. The DOJ and U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) also selected Alex to serve as the Independent Corporate Monitor for Embraer, S.A., a Brazilian aircraft manufacturer. Alex has also spent two years on secondment in London advising clients primarily on anti-bribery issues and he has represented well-known cultural and academic institutions in internal investigations involving diversity, equity and inclusion concerns.
Prior to entering private practice, Alex served as a prosecutor in the Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office, was an Assistant United States Attorney for the District of Columbia, and a Trial Attorney in the DOJ’s Criminal Division, Fraud Section. While in the Fraud Section, Alex served as a member of the DOJ’s Corporate Fraud Task Force and prosecuted matters involving mail, wire and procurement fraud, campaign finance and securities fraud, obstruction of justice, money laundering, and violations of the Travel Act and FCPA, among other offenses. Known for his extensive experience handling matters with cross-border elements, Alex is individually recognized by leading publications, including Chambers Global for FCPA and Chambers USA for FCPA- Nationwide and Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations – District of Columbia.
- Appointed by the DOJ to serve as the FCPA Independent Compliance Monitor for Glencore, a multinational commodity trading and mining company, in connection with FCPA violations in several countries.
- Appointed by the DOJ and the SEC to serve as the Independent Compliance Monitor for Embraer S.A., a Brazilian aircraft manufacturer.
- Representing an EU based senior executive of a multinational entertainment industry company in a corruption related investigation by DOJ, SEC, and the Canadian International Anti-corruption Unit.
- Representing a South American-based international airline company in a joint DOJ and SEC FCPA investigation.
- Represented a multinational energy sector company before the DOJ and SEC in the “Lava Jato” investigation in Brazil.
- Represented a senior executive in the Unaoil Investigation before the DOJ and SEC.
- Represented multinational energy sector companies before the DOJ and SEC in global investigations related to allegations of FCPA violations in Africa, Asia and the Middle East.
- Represented a senior executive of an international company against allegations of misconduct under the FCPA. The investigation involved both U.S. and foreign authorities.
- Represented senior executive of multinational energy sector company in a DOJ and SEC investigation into alleged FCPA violations.
- Represented a multinational corporation in an internal investigation into alleged violations of domestic and international antibribery laws in Asia.
- Represented an executive before the DOJ Antitrust Division on charges related to allegations of price fixing and cartel activity in the Marine Hose investigation.
- Obtained a declination from the DOJ Antitrust Division in relation to an investigation of criminal antitrust violations by a food industry executive.