Chris Shim joined Ropes & Gray in 2016 as an associate in the tax practice. Chris regularly advises private fund managers and institutional investors on tax issues relating to the formation and operation of private equity funds, hedge funds, credit funds and real estate funds, and investments therein. Chris also advises private equity and other clients on the federal income tax aspects of mergers, acquisitions, dispositions and other transactional tax matters, including debt and equity issuances.
During law school, Chris was a judicial intern to the Honorable Susan G. Braden, chief judge on the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, and a law clerk at the U.S. Senate Committee on Finance.
- Represented Silver Lake Partners in a strategic investment round in Vacasa, North America’s largest vacation rental management platform.
- Represented TPG Growth’s global impact fund, The Rise Fund, in its investment in EverFi, a leading provider of subscription-based digital learning to K-12 schools, universities, corporations, sports teams and NGOs.
- Represented TPG Capital in its take-private acquisition of Exactech, a leading developer and producer of orthopedic implant devices and surgical instrumentation for extremities and large joints.
- Represented American Industrial Partners in its take-private acquisition of SEACOR Holdings, a diversified holding company with interests in domestic and international transportation and logistics, crisis and emergency management, and clean fuel and power solutions.
- Represented Berkshire Partners in its agreement to acquire Accela and advised the resulting portfolio company in subsequent transactions, including the sale of the assets and operations of the company’s Legislative Management business to a cloud-based software provider.
- Represented Pfizer Inc. in its $1.24 billion ex-U.S. strategic collaboration agreement with, and its $11.6 billion acquisition of, Biohaven Pharmaceuticals.
- Represented iTeos Therapeutics in a $2 billion collaboration with global health care leader GSK to co-develop and co-commercialize an anti-TIGIT monoclonal antibody as a potential treatment for cancer patients.
- Represented Atlantic Media, Inc. in the sale of a majority ownership stake in The Atlantic to Emerson Collective, which was founded and is run by Laurene Powell Jobs.
- Represented E-mart Inc., South Korea’s first and largest hypermarket operator, in its pending $3 billion acquisition of 80.01% interest in eBay’s businesses in South Korea.
- Represented Lilium GmbH, a leader in regional electric air mobility, in its business combination agreement with Qell Acquisition Corp., a publicly listed special purpose acquisition company.
- Represented Altice USA on $6.75 billion refinancing in connection with the combination of its Suddenlink and Optimum credit groups under a single credit silo. Ropes & Gray was awarded the Transatlantic Finance Team of the Year at the Legal Week Transatlantic Awards in connection with its representation of Altice USA in this transaction.
- Represented Servpro Industries, LLC, a portfolio company of The Blackstone Group Inc., in its whole-business securitization.
Chris represents the following clients in fund formation and operation matters:
- Bain Capital
- Kohlberg & Co
- Angelo Gordon
- Summa Equity AB