Clare Sellars joined Ropes & Gray as counsel in the firm’s intellectual property transactions group in June 2016. Clare focuses her practice on a broad range of data protection and privacy, IT, intellectual property and general commercial matters, with a particular emphasis on data protection and privacy issues. Clare advises on a wide range of data protection matters, including data sharing, international data transfers, data audits and general data protection compliance. She also provides advice on outsourcing and IT services agreements, intellectual property assignments and licenses and general commercial contracts.
Clare has acted for a wide variety of both national and international clients in various sectors including insurance industry bodies, technology and software development companies and providers of hotel and restaurant services. Clare also has experience in the healthcare, automotive and music sectors.
Prior to joining the firm, Clare worked in the intellectual property, media and technology departments of a magic circle law firm and another international law firm. She also spent five years as a partner in the commercial team at a top 45 UK law firm and most recently acted as interim head of privacy for a FTSE 100 hospitality company.
- Advised Integrated Media Company (IMC), a TPG platform dedicated to the new media ecosystem, on the acquisition of a majority stake in Goal from the DAZN Group
Representative clients and matters with which Clare has been involved prior to joining the firm include:
- Advised FTSE 100 hospitality company on general data protection compliance matters, including issues in respect of third party data sharing arrangements and the invalidation of the US “safe harbor” scheme and issues arising in the light of the new European General Data Protection Regulation
- Advised the owner of a mobile software application used for collecting certain data from consumer devices for market research purposes on international data protection issues
- Advised a large international automotive manufacturer on an agreement relating to the development and provision of an online incentive scheme
- Advised a UK insurance industry body on various high value agreements relating to the development, support and maintenance of significant databases for use within the insurance industry
- Advised a UK based company with a chain of high end café-restaurants on its licensing/franchising arrangements in various Middle Eastern territories
- Advised high profile individuals on the assignment of intellectual property rights to a family company for the purposes of various agreements in respect of a book, a documentary and a film
- Advised a group of medical professionals on the sale of the intellectual property rights in a method for treating a particular type of cancer