Dan Stanco, partner and global co-head of Ropes & Gray’s real estate investments & transactions group, focuses his practice on real estate joint ventures, investments and finance for all real estate asset classes. Throughout his career, Dan has represented a broad range of clients, including public and private REITs, institutional real estate investors, developers, private equity funds, hedge funds, sovereign wealth funds, and investment and commercial banks in complex U.S. and international real estate transactions, advising them on joint ventures, co-investments, distressed acquisitions and restructurings, mortgage and mezzanine financings, intercreditor agreements, hotel management, condominium developments, leasing and portfolio transactions. Dan is also one of the leading experts in the repurchase and loan-on-loan market for commercial real estate loans and CMBS, having negotiated over $25 billion of such financings for many of the leading mortgage REITs and real estate debt funds. Over his career, Dan has been involved in many of the most notable real estate transactions and projects in New York City, including the American Copper Buildings, Park Lane Hotel, Pier57, the Watchtower Building, and the Woolworth Building. Dan also regularly counsels clients on real estate issues related to the COVID-19 pandemic, particularly with respect to its effect on financings, joint ventures, building operations, construction and leases. In addition, Dan is actively involved in multiple charitable initiatives as a member of the board of directors of The Feed Foundation, counsel to a New York City charter school and former advisor to various foundations supported by the United Nations.
- Representing many leading publicly traded mortgage REITs and private real estate debt funds in negotiating and closing over $25 billion in master repurchase facilities, note-on-note facilities and secured warehouse facilities across from multiple major banks and insurance companies to finance commercial real estate loans secured by real estate in the United States, United Kingdom and throughout Europe.
- Represented a group of affiliated publicly traded REITs in a series of acquisitions of commercial, medical and government office buildings in multiple U.S. markets, including a Class A office building in Chicago.
- Represented a major New York based investment fund in the creation of joint ventures with various regional operating partners and the subsequent acquisition and financing of multiple office, hotel and resort properties and distressed loan purchases in major markets throughout the southeast, southwest and west coast.
- Represented a preeminent global hedge fund in a joint venture with a New York real estate private equity fund and in the origination of two mezzanine loans totaling over $213 million as part of the $480 million financing of the acquisition of the Park Lane Hotel in New York City.
- Represented multiple institutional investors in a joint ventures, acquisitions, developments and financings of many condominium developments in New York City.
- Represented an Italian private equity fund in its acquisition of and joint venture investments in multiple commercial, mixed use and multi-family properties and ground-up condominium developments throughout New York City and the Midwest.