John advises a broad range of clients on U.S. and cross-border M&A transactions, including strategic and private equity acquisitions and dispositions, leveraged buyouts and other transactional and corporate governance matters. He also regularly counsels many of the world’s leading investment banks on financial advisory matters. John has been a frequent speaker on M&A and tender offer transaction topics and has served as adjunct professor at Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, where he led a class on private equity transactions.
John is recognized as a leading lawyer for M&A and private equity transactions by numerous industry guides, including Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, The Legal 500 and International Financial Law Review where he is described as “a fantastic, hands-on attorney" who is “always available to us, incredibly thorough and offers practical, solutions-oriented advice” and as “an extremely skillful practitioner” with a “reputation for work in leveraged buyouts.”
- New Mountain Capital in its
- Strategic investment in The Emmes Company, a tech-enabled clinical research organization
- Acquisition of Aegion, a provider of infrastructure maintenance, rehabilitation and protection solutions
- Sale of Cloudmed, a leader in Revenue Intelligence solutions for healthcare providers, to R1 RCM, Inc.
- Merger of Ciox Health with Datavant, a health information technology company
- Sale of majority interest in OneDigital to Onex
- Acquisition of Aceto’s chemicals business in a sale pursuant to Section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code
- Partnership with MAG Aerospace, a leading turnkey provider of intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance solutions to the US government, intergovernmental organizations and allied governments
- Majority investment in a combination of IMA Consulting and Revint Solutions, creating a leading platform offering a full suite of technology-enabled revenue integrity and recovery solutions as well as complex revenue cycle management consulting and interim management services for health care providers
- Partnership with Cytel, Inc., the leading global provider of innovative analytical software and services to the life sciences industry
- Investment in Topix Pharmaceuticals, a leading provider of innovative therapeutic and cosmetic skin care products
- Acquisition of publicly-traded consumable chemical packaged goods company Zep Inc.*
- Acquisition of Covidien’s specialty chemicals business, now called Avantor*
- Signify Health in its sale to CVS Health for approximately $8 billion in total consideration
- Revint Solutions in its acquisition of Naveos, a market leader in specialized government reimbursement technology and services for health care providers
- Convey Health Solutions, a leading provider of technology and services for the Medicare Advantage and Part D markets, in its acquisitions of Gorman Health Group, HealthScape Advisors and Pareto Intelligence and its sale to TPG Capital
- Virgin Media Inc. in its $24 billion acquisition by Liberty Global, Inc.*
John also serves as outside counsel to a number of investment banks in their capacity as financial advisor in a wide variety of M&A transactions, including the following recent transactions:
- Sale of Aveo Pharmaceuticals to LG Chem Ltd.
- Estée Lauder’s acquisition of Tom Ford and investment in DECIEM Beauty Group
- Quidel’s acquisition of Ortho Clinical Diagnostics
- Deere & Company’s acquisition of a majority stake in Kreisel Electric
- Oasis Petroleum’s sale of Oasis Midstream Partners
- Sonoco’s acquisition of Ball Metalpack
- Thermo Fisher’s acquisition of PPD
- Qualtrics International’s acquisition of Clarabridge
- Frank's International’s merger with Expro Group
- Rice Acquisition Corp.’s business combination with Aria Energy and Archaea Energy
- Sale of Luminex to DiaSorin
- Sale of Golar LNG Partners to New Fortress Energy
- Sale of Oxford Immunotec to PerkinElmer
- CommScope’s acquisition of ARRIS International plc
- Sale of WildHorse Resource Development Corporation to Chesapeake Energy Corporation
- Broadcom’s acquisition of CA, Inc.
- Comstock Resources’ acquisition of oil and gas interests of Arkoma Drilling, L.P. and Williston Drilling, L.P.
- Cohu’s acquisition of Xcerra Corporation
- Sale of Nutri-Force Nutrition subsidiary of Vitamin Shoppe, Inc. to Arizona Nutritional Supplements, LLC
- Sale of The Finish Line, Inc. to JD Sports Fashion Plc
- Acquisition of Oclaro, Inc. by Lumentum Holdings, Inc.
- Sale of the Z-Wave business of Sigma Designs, Inc. to Silicon Laboratories Inc.
- Sale of Infinity Property and Casualty Corporation to Kemper Corporation
- Granite Construction Incorporated’s acquisition of Layne Christensen Company
- Sale of C.H. Guenther & Son, Inc. to an affiliate of the Pritzker Group
- Acquisition of Filament Brands by Lifetime Brands
- CIRCOR International’s acquisition of Colfax’s fluid handling business
- Inotek Pharmaceuticals Corporation’s combination with Rocket Pharmaceuticals
*Representations completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray.