PJ Sullivan is a dynamic private equity lawyer who represents institutional and strategic investors in a wide range of complex transactions. His multi-faceted practice encompasses mergers and acquisitions, out-of-court restructurings, PIPEs, minority and club deals, IPOs and de-SPAC transactions. Beyond his transactional work, PJ regularly advises private equity sponsors and their portfolio companies on corporate governance, compliance, equity and general operational matters.
Operating in both the middle-market and large-cap spaces, PJ has established deep relationships with clients across a broad spectrum of industries, including consumer products, retail, healthcare, TMT and asset management. Clients value the evenhanded approach he brings to high pressure situations. Having spent time in-house at a private investment firm through a secondment, PJ also has a keen understanding of the private equity industry and is able to offer clients guidance on how to balance risk while achieving their commercial goals.
At the firm, PJ takes an active role in entry-level recruiting, diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives, and associate training and development.
A former All-American swimmer at the University of Virginia, he remains actively involved in the swimming community.
- Represented Tecomet, Inc., together with certain of its affiliates, in the refinancing of its approximately $1 billion capital structure, including through the provision of a new revolving credit facility and privately placed first-lien term loan. Tecomet is a global leader in the design, development, and manufacture of orthopedic, robotic assisted, and minimally invasive surgical products, as well as precision components for the aerospace and defense industry.
- Represented Charlesbank Capital Partners and its portfolio companies in a number of transactions, including:
- Investment in Bridgepointe Technologies, a leading IT channel platform selling recurring technology services to enterprise customers, and Bridgepointe Technologies’ acquisition of Cannon Group.
- World Insurance Associates acquisition of Pensionmark Financial Group, a leading retirement and financial planning registered investment advisor supporting more than $80 billion in assets across its network.
- Acquisition of Box Partners, the nation’s largest wholesaler of packaging, shipping and industrial supplies.
- Acquisition of Empire Today, a home improvement and home furnishing company specializing in installed carpet, flooring and window treatments, from H.I.G. Capital.
- Investment in Mediaocean, a leading software platform serving advertising agencies and brands with a suite of software products for ad campaign management, execution and delivery.
- Investment in Park Place Technologies, a leading global third-party maintenance provider, alongside GTCR.
- Acquisition of HDT Global, a provider of solutions aimed at creating and controlling environmental conditions to protect equipment and personnel.
- HDT Global’s acquisitions of: DHS Systems, a provider of rapidly deployable expeditionary equipment; DRS Environmental Systems, a manufacturer of rugged and transportable mobile enclosures, environmental control units, power generators and other ground support systems; and Berg Companies, Washington-based manufacturer of hard and soft wall shelter systems, fuel and water systems and power management solutions.
- The sale of HDT Global to Nexus Capital Management.
- Investment in HelpSystems, a global provider of IT operations management, security and analytics solutions, alongside TA Associates and HGGC.
- Represented BV Investment Partners and its portfolio companies in a number of transactions, including:
- Investment in Source Advisors, a market leading specialty tax solutions and software provider focused on the SMB market.
- Investment in StraighterLine, a provider of scalable solutions to deliver affordance, effective and accelerated pathways to formal degree programs, and StraighterLine’s investment in ChildCare Education Institute, one of the largest online training providers for early childhood education professionals.
- Investment in Franco Signor, a provider of Medicare Secondary Payer compliance solutions to the country’s largest self-insured companies, insurers, and third party administrators, and in the sale of Franco Signor to Verisk.
- Investment in EDCO Health Information Solutions, a leading provider of automated unstructured data indexing solutions for health care providers.
- Represented Bain Capital and its portfolio companies in a number of transactions, including:
- Acquisition of a majority stake in U.S. Renal Care, a leading provider of dialysis services for patients suffering from end stage renal disease, from Leonard Green & Partners.
- Bain Capital Double Impact’s acquisition and business combination of Arosa and LivHome (now operating as Arosa+LivHome), to create a premier national in-home care provider.
- Represented TSG Consumer Partners and its portfolio companies in a number of transactions, including:
- Acquisition of Backcountry.com, one of the largest online specialty retailers of outdoor gear and apparel
- Sale of Paige Denim, a premium denim brand, to Lion Capital.
- Acquisition of Lucky Vitamin, an industry-leading e-commerce retailer of natural and organic wellness products, from GNC.
- Advised European Wax Center’s management team in connection with its Initial Public Offering.
- Represented Sports Entertainment Acquisition Corp., a publicly traded special purpose acquisition company, in its business combination with SGHC Limited, the parent company of Betway, to create a global gaming company listed on the New York Stock Exchange.
- Represented State Street Corporation in a number of transactions, including:
- Sale of State Street’s joint venture interest in Boston Financial Data Services, Inc. and International Financial Data Services Limited to DST Systems, Inc. for $333 million.
- Acquisition of GE Asset Management, a global asset manager with more than $110 billion in assets under management, from General Electric Company.