Chris Townsend is a partner in the asset management group. Chris advises European and global asset managers on the establishment and operation of private investment funds pursuing a wide variety of strategies including buyout, credit, infrastructure, energy, renewables and venture.
Chris is a specialist in the international structuring of traditional closed-ended fund structures in a variety of jurisdictions, as well as structures incorporating long-dated, evergreen, multi-currency, and levered/unlevered arrangements. He is also highly experienced in the formation of separately managed accounts, co-investments and sponsor carried interest schemes.
He has also led a large number of secondaries transactions including GP-led solutions, fund restructurings, portfolio sales and other liquidity solutions.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Chris’s representative clients included: AMP Capital, Balderton Capital, Brookfield, EverSource Capital, Glennmont Partners, Global Logistic Properties, IDFC Asset Management, Incus Capital, Montana Capital Partners, Park Square, Pollen Street Capital, Proventus Capital and Union Eiendomskapital.
Chris's experience prior to joining Ropes & Gray includes advising:
- A UK-based buyout sponsor on the formation of a £700 million European private equity fund
- A large global infrastructure sponsor on the formation of a $5 billion infrastructure debt fund
- A UK-based renewable energy sponsor on the formation of a €500 million renewable energy fund
- A European credit fund manager on the formation of a €500 million credit fund and separate managed account with a large pension fund investor
- A large global asset manager on the formation of a $5 billion global energy infrastructure fund
- An Indian fund sponsor on the formation of a $600 million renewable energy fund
- A European venture capital sponsor on the formation of its $400 million European venture capital fund
- A large global asset manager on the formation of one of the first ELTIF structures
- A sovereign wealth fund in respect of cornerstone investments into a number of large real estate funds
- A global real estate sponsor in respect of its multi-billion global real estate fund operations and activities
- An Indian infrastructure sponsor on the establishment of a $900 million infrastructure Fund
- A global pension fund investor in respect of its investments into a number of large European buyout funds
- A Nordic real estate sponsor on the formation of a €200 million Nordic real estate fund
Ropes & Gray International LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in Delaware, United States of America and is a recognised body regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (with registered number 521000).