Vincenzo Volpe joined the London antitrust department as an associate in January 2018. Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Vincenzo worked as a trainee at the European Commission, DG Competition, and in the Brussels office of a leading international law firm.
Vincenzo advises clients on EU and UK competition and regulatory law matters. He has a broad range of experience, including inquiries and investigations before the EU Commission and UK Competition and Markets Authority as well as advising on mergers and acquisitions. Vincenzo has counselled clients across a variety of industries, including pharmaceuticals, energy, media, aviation and consumer products.
Representative Strategic Company Experience
- Advised Acceleron Pharma on its c. $11.5 billion million sale to Merck
- Advised Aimbridge Hospitality, North America’s largest independent hotel management firm and a portfolio company of Advent International, on the antitrust aspects of its merger with Interstate Hotels & Resorts
- Advised Alibaba:
- on the merger control aspects of its strategic partnership with Richemont to bring the retail offerings of YOOX Net-A-Porter Group to Chinese consumers (“TMT Deal of the Year”)
- on its strategic partnership and joint venture (in conjunction with Richemont, the Switzerland-based luxury goods group) with Farfetch Limited, a NYSE-listed leading global online luxury fashion retailer
- Advised Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, a US biopharmaceutical company specialised in the development of gene therapies, on its sale to Bayer AG
- Represented HUTCHMED in connection with a worldwide license agreement with Takeda Pharmaceutical for up to $1.13 billion.
- Acted for Medtronic:
- in its acquisition of Intersect ENT for an approximate value of $1.1 billion
- in its acquisition of Companion Medical, the developer of InPen, a smart insulin pen for the treatment of diabetes
- on its $1.64 billion acquisition of Mazor Robotics Ltd
- on the CMA review of its preferred partnership with Animas Corporation
- Advised Provention Bio, Inc., in a sales agreement to global healthcare company Sanofi for approximately $2.9 billion
- Represented Sanofi in an exclusive, worldwide license agreement with Maze Therapeutics for MZE001 for the treatment of Pompe Disease, with an upfront of $150M (cash and equity), up to approximately $600M in milestones, and royalties on sales.
- Represented Sunovion Pharmaceuticals, a subsidiary of Japan’s Sumitomo Dainippon Pharma, in a billion-dollar worldwide co-development and co-commercialization agreement with Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. for four novel neurology drugs
- Acted for Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited:
- on its acquisition of GammaDelta Therapeutics Limited, a company focused on exploiting the unique properties of gamma delta (γδ) T cells for immunotherapy
- in an exclusive collaboration and license agreement with JCR Pharmaceuticals Co., Ltd. to commercialize JR-141 for the treatment of Hunter syndrome
- Represented Wieland-Werke AG in its $1.2 billion acquisition of Global Brass and Copper Holdings, Inc.
Representative Private Equity Experience
- Represented Advent International Corp. in its acquisition of Nielsen’s Global Connect business for US$2.7 billion
- Advised Avista Capital Partners :
- on its sale of Acino, a Swiss pharmaceutical company, to ADQ, a Sovereign Wealth Fund located in Abu Dhabi
- on its joint acquisition with VHC Investco of Vision Healthcare, one of Europe’s fastest-growing omni-channel and direct-to-consumer health care companies
- on the antitrust aspects of the sale of Trimb Healthcare to Karo Pharma, cleared subject to divestitures
- Represented Bain Capital in connection with its:
- $150 million minority investment in Ataccama
- investment in Enterprise DB
- €955.3 million acquisition of Caverion Corporation
- Acted for Baring Private Equity Asia on the European Commission review of its and PAI Partners' acquisition of World Freight Company International
- Represented Charlesbank Capital Partners :
- in the acquisition by its portfolio company Sound United LLC of Bowers & Wilkins, a leading designer and manufacturer of luxury audio products
- in its investment in Park Place Technologies, a leading global third-party maintenance provider, alongside GTCR
- Acted for CIRCOR International in a take-private sale to global investment firm KKR in a cash transaction valued at approximately $1.6 billion.
- Advised Cove Hill Partners on its $500 million sale of LiveAuctioneers to Auction Technology Group
- Represented CVC Capital Partners and its portfolio company System C on the acquisitions of Clevermed and Oxford Computer Consultants.
- Acted for Genstar Capital :
- on the acquisition of Lightspeed Systems, the market leader in online student safety and effectiveness
- on the merger control review of its acquisition of certain assets of Amcor Flexibles
- Advised Inflexion, a UK-headquartered private equity firm, and other shareholders (including the management team) on the sale of Reed & Mackay, a premium corporate travel management and events business, to TripActions, a U.S.-headquartered business travel and spend management platform
- Acted for TPG Inc. :
- on the sale of Immucor to Werfen for $2 billion
- on the sale of McAfee Corp’s Consumer business to an investor group for over US$14 billion
- on the sale of McAfee Corp’s Enterprise business to a consortium led by Symphony Technology Group for US$4 billion
Representative Secondaries Transactions Experience
- Regularly advises an Asian sovereign investor on their primary, co-investment and secondaries programs.
Notable transactions in which Vincenzo has been involved prior to joining the firm include:
- Represented Liberty Media Corporation in national merger control approvals of its acquisition of Formula One.
- Advised Halliburton in seeking to receive EU merger control approval of its US$28 billion proposed acquisition of Baker Hughes.
- Acted for Dresser-Rand in EU and other merger control approvals of its US$7.8 billion merger with Siemens.
- Advised a leading electronic commerce and cloud computing company on the compliance of its business strategy with EU competition law.
- Advised a major airline in the context of state aid litigation before the General Court of the EU