Emily Yang is an associate in Ropes & Gray’s intellectual property transactions group. She advises clients in strategic transactions where technology and/or IP assets are key drivers. These transactions include technology licensing and transfer, mergers and acquisitions, and other strategic transactions. Emily represents clients in a variety of industries including software and hardware, AI/machine learning, semiconductors, consumer products, and life sciences, and has experience in cross-border transactions, especially those involving Greater China.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Emily was an associate at another global law firm in Silicon Valley, where she represented leading technology and pharmaceutical companies in patent litigation, licensing disputes, and strategic transactions.
During law school, Emily externed for the Honorable Judge William Orrick III of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California. She was also a research assistant for Mark Cohen, Director of the Asia IP Project at Berkeley Center for Law & Technology.
Prior to law school, Emily worked as a staff research associate at the Institute on Global Conflict and Cooperation conducting research on China’s innovation, science and technology policy. She co-authored several published reports and articles.
- Represented a major publicly traded technology company in connection with licensing and development agreements for its virtual reality products.*
- Represented a multinational computer hardware manufacturer in connection with licensing disputes and negotiations involving video encoding/decoding standard-essential patents.*
- Represented Walmart’s global ecommerce division in connection with various patent litigation and negotiation matters throughout the U.S.*
- Represented Google LLC as an intervenor in ITC 337 investigation relating to H.264 video encoding/decoding and smart device GUI technologies.*
- Represented Marvell Semiconductor, Inc. in patent infringement and declaratory judgment actions concerning system-in-chip devices and memory devices.*
*Experience prior to joining Ropes & Gray