Our experienced trial lawyers consistently deliver winning results for clients across many forums and jurisdictions, including state and federal courts, multidistrict litigation, and arbitration tribunals. With nearly 400 litigators around the globe, we have the resources to assemble the best team to address complicated and time-sensitive bet-the-company matters.
Our team is skilled at handling the full range of business & commercial litigation matters affecting businesses in every industry, including:
- Complex contract and commercial disputes
- Consumer class actions
- Fraud and deceptive trade practice claims
- Corporate governance and fiduciary duty disputes
- Deal-related disputes
- Real estate litigation
- Health care litigation
- Professional liability
- Business restructuring
- Arbitration/International arbitration
Recognizing that every client’s business goals and objectives are unique, we carefully consider all available options when managing cases. Our proven ability to achieve favorable results in the courtroom provides us with the credibility to also resolve disputes short of trial. Whether utilizing pretrial motions and alternative dispute resolution to reduce litigation costs and exposure, or trying cases to verdict, our zealous advocacy is key to our record of success.
Diverse Clients Across Industries
From Wall Street firms and mutual fund companies to pharmaceutical giants and life sciences firms, leading businesses and individuals rely on us for all their litigation needs. Our clients are from a diverse range of industries, including Financial Services, Automotive & Transportation, Health Care, Life Sciences, Manufacturing & Industrial Services, Technology, Retail & Consumer Brands, Education, and Insurance, among others.
Ropes & Gray is regularly recognized as a leading practice by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, The Legal 500, and Benchmark Litigation, with practitioners highly ranked in multiple jurisdictions.
Recent successes include:
- Won a decisive trial victory for TravelCenters of America (TA), a leading truck stop operator, in an expedited proceeding arising out of the wrongful termination of a business-critical contract by TA’s primary payment processor, resulting in the recovery of tens of millions in overcharges and fees. A post-trial opinion and judgment was issued in favor of TA and against the defendant, Comdata Inc., an industry-leading credit card issuer that processes the fuel transactions for the bulk of TA’s trucking fleet customers.
- Trial counsel for Elliott Management Corp. and several affiliated investment funds in expedited bankruptcy litigations that center on Energy Future Holdings’ multiple attempts to sell their interest in Oncor, a regulated utility company in Texas, and emerge from long-running Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Secured extremely favorable decisions in connection with two contested transactions, which ultimately paved the way for a topping bid that provided creditors with significantly higher recoveries.
- Represented The TJX Companies, Inc. and certain subsidiaries in two consumer class actions in California and New York challenging TJX's price advertising practices under state consumer protection statutes.
- Represent a leading private equity firm and related parties in lawsuits in New York federal and state court alleging fraudulent conveyance, alter ego and other claims in connection with the recapitalization of a European portfolio company. The plaintiffs, which include liquidators, an indenture trustee and bondholders, assert claims in excess of $2 billion. Two prior federal court cases have resulted in decisions by the Second Circuit Court of Appeals favorable to our clients, and we have achieved multiple dismissals of various actions.
- Represented Boston Children’s Hospital in litigation concerning the Hospital’s $1 billion modernization and expansion. Successfully defeated three preliminary injunction attempts, and successfully defeated a challenge to a determination of need, brought by opponents of a much needed modernization and expansion project to build, among other things, a state-of-the-art NICU and heart center at the hospital.
- Won a motion to dismiss a putative health care-fraud class action brought against a leading pharmacy chain alleging common-law fraud and violations of the Illinois consumer protection statute based on alleged improper Medicare billing for insulin.
- Represented a global medical device maker in an arbitration arising out of a long-term commercial agreement with a supplier. The supplier claimed that our client materially breached that agreement, purported to terminate the agreement and demanded $415 million in damages. At the outset of the dispute, we secured a preliminary injunction barring the supplier from terminating the parties’ agreement during the pendency of the arbitration. We then represented the client in a four-day arbitration hearing in which we examined an array of fact and expert witnesses. On the eve of the arbitrator’s award, the parties reached a private settlement on terms favorable to our client.
- Represented a subsidiary of Deutsche Bank, German American Capital Corporation (GACC), in litigation filed in New York Supreme Court arising out of a luxury condominium project in Tribeca in Manhattan. The Court granted GACC’s motion to dismiss. The matter was then affirmed on appeal to the First Department.
- Coordinating litigation counsel advising and representing the independent directors of a leading health care company in disputes arising from alleged product defects, including consumer fraud class actions, False Claims Act cases, fiduciary duty claims, securities claims, and indemnification disputes.
- Secured dismissal of fraud and contract claims brought against a private equity company in federal class action lawsuits related to the closure of a subsidiary of one of its portfolio companies, a for-profit law school.