Ropes & Gray’s technology, media & telecommunications group consists of a multi-disciplinary team of attorneys with years of experience handling matters in the areas of technology transactions, M&A, data privacy and cybersecurity, intellectual property, finance, fintech, capital markets, antitrust, regulatory and tax.
Our lawyers combine extensive legal knowledge with a comprehensive understanding of the TMT market and the regulatory and political factors that can influence business decisions. We have deep expertise with both disruptive technologies and the more traditional technologies that support today’s digital economy.
Our TMT clients include both companies that develop, manufacture, service or sell technology goods and services, as well as investors and lenders who buy, sell and finance these organizations.
We regularly advise TMT clients across the full gamut of TMT subsectors including automotive and aeronautical, consumer technology, energy technology, fintech, AI, big data, gaming, hardware, semiconductors, software, internet and e-commerce, media and telecommunications.
Formation and Development
Our TMT group works with clients to address critical legal matters such as:
- Early-stage investments, including planning, operations and regulatory issues
- Designing founders’ arrangements and capital structures, as well as creating and implementing advisory boards
- Developing intellectual property portfolios that protect patents, trademarks, copyrights and other intangible assets
Strategic Relationships and Monetization
TMT clients rely on Ropes & Gray to:
- Counsel on acquisitions, mergers or investments involving a technology business or business units, as well as execute spin-off, split-off or carve-out transactions
- Advise on the establishment of commercial arrangements, joint development agreements and other strategic relationships
- Execute initial and follow-on offerings, private placements, and other capital markets transactions
- Provide counsel on structured financings, privatizations and other capital-raising ventures
Litigation and Compliance
Ropes & Gray’s industry-leading litigation practice represents TMT clients in a wide range of litigation matters, including:
- Administrative proceedings, antitrust investigations and environmental compliance matters as well as matters regarding trade secrets and confidential information
- A breadth of legal issues, such as regulatory and litigation matters, that affect technology-based systems and quantitative trading platforms
- Civil and criminal investigations, as well as labor, employment and executive compensation matters
- Data breach litigation
- Consumer or financial institution class actions
- Administrative proceedings and government or internal investigations
- Regulatory compliance
- Antitrust investigations, litigation and compliance
- Patent and other IP litigation
- Labor, employment and executive compensation matters
Our representative clients include:
- Atlantic Media
- Butler Shine & Stern
- Decentralized Code Network (Deconet)
- Emerson Electronic
- Eversource Energy
- Extreme Networks
- Fujitsu Limited
- Hitachi-LG Data Storage
- Huawei Technology Co., Ltd.
- Infront Sports & Media
- IP Bridge
- IQE KC LLC
- Kakao Corp
- LG Electronics
- Liberty Global
- Linear Technology Corporation
- LINE Corporation
- MACOM Technology Solutions
- Mentor Graphics Corporation
- Money.net Inc.
- NetEase Inc.
- Netmarble Games Corporation
- Nexant Inc.
- Nuance Communications
- Raytheon BBN Technologies
- Samsung Electronics
- SkillSoft Corporation
- TiVo Corporation
- TJX Companies
- Virgin Media Inc.
- Veeco InstrumentVIZIO