Corporate transactions, whether acquisitions, joint ventures, or investments, often require a sophisticated assessment of antitrust risk and the successful completion of government antitrust review. Comprising veterans of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), our antitrust team has the legal experience, knowledge of the antitrust review process, and understanding of sophisticated business challenges that, collectively, are essential in guiding transactions to a successful completion.
Combining deep substantive and industry knowledge with a keen understanding of the government regulatory process, our antitrust team helps clients navigate the issues raised by regulatory agencies, and includes a pre-merger notification group renowned for its mastery of the Hart-Scott-Rodino Act’s (HSR) complex filing requirements.Our attorneys regularly assist clients in conducting antitrust due diligence and in structuring relations between business partners engaging in transactions. We have extensive experience in “second request” and other government antitrust investigations brought by the FTC, DOJ, and state enforcers. We also have a proven track record of successfully defending acquisitions challenged in court as unlawful.
Ropes & Gray has a significant record of accomplishment in cross-border transactions, and leverages the expertise of our antitrust and corporate teams in the service of clients. Working with attorneys in our London, Seoul, Shanghai, Tokyo, and Hong Kong offices, and with an established global network of attorneys, we coordinate filings and obtain merger clearances worldwide.
Our antitrust attorneys have successfully guided clients through some of the most notable M&A transactions of the last decade. Our recent matters include the representation of:
- Google in its $2.35 billion sale of Motorola Home to Arris
- Berkshire Partners in its $2.0 billion acquisition of Lightower Fiber Networks, and Sidera Networks
- TPG Capital and Immucor, Inc., in a definitive agreement to acquire Hologic, Inc.’s LIFECODES business
- Nypro in its proposed sale to Jabil Circuit, Inc. for an expected purchase price of approximately $665 million
- Vlingo, a leading voice recognition software company, in its sale to Nuance Communications
- TJX in its $200 million acquisition of Sierra Trading Post
- Becton Dickinson where we obtained FTC clearance in Corning Inc.’s $730M acquisition of BD’s Discovery Labware unit
- TPG Capital in its $1.9B acquisition of Par Pharmaceutical Companies, Inc.
- Hospital of St. Raphael before the FTC in connection with its combination with Yale New Haven Hospital
- Genzyme before the FTC in its $20.1 billion sale to Sanofi-Aventis, avoiding a Second Request
- Blackstone Capital Partners in its $2.2B acquisition of Emdeon, Inc.
- Alexion Pharmaceuticals in its $659.5M acquisition of Enobia Pharma
- Keurig Green Mountain in successfully securing clearance from the FTC of its acquisition of Diedrich Coffee
- Covidien before the FTC in its $108 million acquisition of Newport Medical, avoiding a Second Request