From major infrastructure elements like electric power plants to intangible property like patents and trademarks, the Ropes & Gray team has broad experience in distressed asset sales and acquisitions. We have executed dozens of transactions through section 363 sales, as well as through receiverships, UCC foreclosures and ABCs. Our special situations team, which has been specifically trained in bankruptcy acquisitions, works in close coordination with our business restructuring team to provide efficient service to buyers and sellers of distressed assets.
Among the Ropes & Gray team’s recent and most notable asset sale and acquisition transactions are:
- AeroGroup International – Represented the debtors in a section 363 sale of substantially all their assets to Alden Global Capital, LLC.
- Gawker Media – Represented the debtors in a section 363 sale of substantially all their assets to Univision, a transaction that was recognized as “Special Situations M&A Deal of the Year” for 2017.
- Unilife Corporation – Represented Amgen in its acquisition of the assets of Unilife Corporation, a medical device maker, in a section 363 sale.
- The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company – Represented Key Food Stores Co-operative Inc. in connection with its $128 million acquisition of 23 supermarkets from A&P in a section 363 sale.
- Arctic Glacier – Represented H.I.G. Capital in its $434 million international acquisition of Arctic Glacier’s Canadian and U.S. businesses in a cross-border sale process.
- Haggen Holdings – Represented Gelson’s Markets, a TPG Capital portfolio company, in its stalking horse bid for a selection of grocery stores in the chapter 11 cases of Haggen Holdings, LLC.
- Nortel Networks – Represented Avaya in connection with its $950 million international acquisition of Nortel’s enterprise business in a combined U.S.-Canadian sale process.