Ropes & Gray’s integrated Capital Solutions & Private Credit team includes partners from the United States, London and Asia who focus on bespoke capital solutions and private credit transactions in event-driven and other opportunistic situations. Clients look to us for insightful guidance in complex debt and equity transactions, and in the acquisition of more esoteric assets such as insurance and bankruptcy claims.
We advise on the full spectrum of intricate liquidity solutions, including secured and unsecured facilities, convertible debt, hybrid debt/equity instruments and high yield bonds. We also counsel on all types of joint ventures and special situations, from distressed asset acquisitions and loan portfolio purchases to structures involving novel debt instruments or challenging refinancings and deals arising from corporate crises.
More than 20 Ropes & Gray attorneys worldwide are dedicated Capital Solutions & Private Credit transactions lawyers. To ensure that clients receive the precise mix of knowledge and experience they require, we deploy teams — each managed by a lead attorney — on a deal-by-deal basis, drawing on the resources of our finance, private equity, mergers & acquisitions, business restructuring, hedge funds, regulatory, real estate and tax practices.
We advise investment funds, proprietary trading desks at investment banks, asset managers and companies. Our representative clients include:
- Abrams Capital
- Angelo, Gordon & Co.
- Aquiline Capital Partners
- Bain Capital Credit
- Blue Torch Capital
- Davidson Kempner
- GoldenTree Asset Management
- Goldman Sachs SSG
- HG Vora
- KKR Credit
- SIGULER GUFF
- Sixth Street Partners
- Sound Point Capital
- SSG Capital
- Summit Partners
- Tor Investment Management
- Advised Kayne Senior Credit III Loanco LLC in the restructuring of Pioneer Landscaping.
- Advised a private fund with over $25 billion of AUM in its recapitalization of a global maker of timepieces, resulting in the hedge fund acquiring a majority ownership.
- Advised Centric Brands on a bankruptcy reorganization plan delivering the company’s $1.7 billion in funded debt and a global settlement supported by all of their secured lenders and the official committee of unsecured creditors.
- Advised Elliott Management Corporation in connection with its DIP loan to Avianca Holdings, a leading owner and operator of airlines. This transaction included a $1.27 billion tranche A senior secured financing and a $722 million tranche B secured subordinated loan. The DIP financing includes approximately $1.2 billion of new funds ($881 million in tranche A and $336 million in tranche B).
- Advised an investment management firm in connection with a DIP loan to an airline company currently in Chapter 11 Bankruptcy
Lender Side Financing Transactions
- Advised Hilco Merchant Resources LLC in their $23.5M loan to RigMax Rigco.
- Advised Siguler Guff in its $10 million financing of NWS Technologies.
- Advised Sound Point Capital Management on a $152 million loan to certain newly-formed affiliates of AmTrust Financial Services.
- Advised an investment management company in connection with a $300 million loan and warrant package to a REIT focused primarily on directly originating, investing in and managing senior floating-rate commercial mortgage loans and other debt and debt-like commercial real estate investments.
- Advised Sixth Street Partners which had previously entered into a financing agreement and convertible loan agreement with Caris Life Science Company. Ropes & Gray closed on an amendment to both the financing agreement and convertible loan agreement to provide for additional credit to Caris in the form of an additional loan not exceeding $75 million for working capital.
- Advised Sixth Street Partners in connection with providing $175 million clinical trial financing to Clovis Oncology, a biopharmaceutical company that focuses on acquiring, developing and commercializing innovative anti-cancer agents in the global markets.
- Advising an investment management firm in a potential secured loan plus warrants to a travel management company based in Barcelona.
- Advising an investment management firm in connection with a potential revolver loan to a manufacturer of Hispanic-style dairy products.
- Advised Aquiline Capital Partners LLC as the pre-petition agent, Aquiline Agent Services LLC as the DIP agent, and In-Shape Acquisition 2021, LLC as stalking horse purchaser and ultimately the successful purchaser in connection with the In-Shape Holdings, LLC chapter 11 cases in the district of Delaware.
- Advised a hedge fund in a $30 million minority equity investment into a fiber optic network provider.
- Advised a private equity fund in its initial common and preferred equity financing, later distressed debt financing, and later reorganization of an oil refinery.
- Advised Sixth Street Partners in its purchase of secured convertible notes issued by Sprinklr in the amount of $75 million at close and $75 million in delayed draw commitments.
- Advised 17Capital on structured investments into late-stage private equity funds in order to fund additional investments.
- Advised Flight Centre Group, one of the world’s largest travel agency operations, in a strategic investment and commercial agreement with The Upside Travel Company, a company that operates a corporate travel platform.
- Advised an investment management firm in the acquisition of equity interests of a domain registry business, following the domain registries acquisition of another domain registry business.
- Advised an investment management firm in a joint venture for a minority investment in a supply chain services provider based in Austin, Texas.
- Advised an investment management firm in the acquisition of a manufacturer and distributor of home furnishing and housewares.
- Advised an investment management firm in the acquisition of a majority stake in a joint venture that focuses on infrastructure projects from affiliates of an investment firm.