As home to some of the world’s largest emerging markets and global enterprises, Latin America presents a unique set of legal issues and regulatory challenges to companies and investors in the region. Ropes & Gray attorneys have many years of experience working throughout Latin America and have built strong relationships with a number of local law firms and other service providers in the region. A vast network of colleagues advises clients across industries on their most critical business issues and are familiar managing matters in diverse practice areas including anti-corruption & international risk, government enforcement/white collar, hedge funds, tax, private equity transactions, mergers & acquisitions, investment management, private investment funds, special situations, antitrust, and finance.
By the Numbers
- 120+ Spanish- or Portuguese-speaking attorneys
- 450+ anti-corruption matters handled involving Latin American countries
- 45+ Latin America funds reviewed for more than 24 separate investors*
- $3.2 billion in M&A transactions handled in Latin America*
* in the past five years
What We Do
Our anti-corruption and international risk attorneys established the firm’s roots in Latin America and has developed a reputation for successfully guiding our clients through an ever-changing legal landscape, sharpening our expertise in the geographies that cause our clients the greatest concern. In Latin America and the Caribbean, we have handled over 450 anti-corruption matters, including one monitorship, 65 internal investigations, 30 government investigations, 117 compliance matters, and 237 diligence matters in countries and territories such as Anguilla, Argentina, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Puerto Rico, Trinidad, Uruguay, and Venezuela.
Clients in Latin America rely on us to be their trusted partner before and after the commencement of enforcement activity; to conduct sensitive internal investigations; and to provide counsel on risk assessment, prevention and compliance.
With veterans of the U.S. Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission, our team offers representation to Latin American clients concerning all antitrust matters, including business arrangements; interactions with suppliers, customers and competitors; and the litigation of patent-antitrust and price-fixing class actions.
Our integrated team assists clients in Latin America across the entire special situations spectrum: distressed asset acquisitions, loan portfolio purchases, structures involving novel debt instruments or challenging refinancings, and deals with corporate crisis as their genesis. Our ability to deliver an integrated service across practice areas and geographies is critical to the needs of investors with the broad investment mandates characteristic of special situations deals.
Ropes & Gray represents clients across all industries in their pursuit of business-critical transactions, and has significant experience in M&A deals for Latin American companies and in leading matters for private equity firms or their portfolio companies investing in Latin America.
Combining significant experience in a wide range of disciplines and industries, our team provides practical, innovative solutions for real estate-based transactions. With a coordinated approach to real estate, private equity, finance, tax, investment and environmental goals, we identify opportunities and manage risk to help clients in Latin America.
Our attorneys are intimately familiar with the special tax and structuring issues of investments—natural resources, leveraged buyouts, hedge funds, co-investment funds, real estate funds and energy/infrastructure—spanning Latin America.
With attorneys fluent in Spanish and Portuguese, Ropes & Gray has represented clients on matters ranging from transactions to financings to government investigations throughout Latin America. Our experience representing clients in the follow countries, regions and territories includes:
Our recent experience in the region includes:
- Representing the former CFO of a multinational oil and gas company during a DOJ and SEC investigation into the company’s activities in Argentina through a Joint Venture Company for FCPA violations.
- Conducted an internal investigation, including onsite interviews of key personnel and distributor, for a U.S. multinational medical device company following allegations of improper benefits provided to hospital employees.
- Represented Dosicolor Argentina S.A., an Argentina based specialty chemicals company, in its sale to Colormatrix Corporation.
- Assisting one of our client’s portfolio companies, a hotel in Argentina, with the restructuring of its anti-corruption compliance program.
- A Brazilian manufacturer engaged a Ropes & Gray LLP partner to serve as independent corporate compliance monitor for a three-year term as part of a deferred prosecution agreement with the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Represented a leading fixed-income fund manager in the development of new fund offerings targeted at retail and institutional investors in Brazil.
- Represented a large pharmaceutical company in an internal investigation into potential exposure with U.S. authorities. The matter involved parallel investigations by state and federal authorities in Brazil that concerned the company’s role in assisting patients to petition the government to purchase a certain drug, which to date remains unapproved in Brazil.
- Represented Advent in its acquisition of Walmart Brazil.
- Represented one of the world’s largest off-shore drilling contractors in an internal investigation into allegations regarding the company’s Brazil marketing agent stemming from the Operation Car Wash investigation.
- Conducted an internal investigation for a global biopharmaceutical company in relation to allegations of misconduct in Colombia, including violation of company travel and expenses policy, and delivery of potentially inappropriate benefits to Colombian distributors and health care practitioners in exchange for sales and prescriptions of pharmaceutical products.
- Represented Audax Group in its sale of Southern Equipment Co. Inc. to Cementos Argos, a Colombia based producer of concrete mixes.
- Advising a multinational medical device company on an investigation into a Mexican distributor that has won an unusually high number of tenders at one or more government institutions over the past seven years.
- Representing a major private equity firm to conduct pre-acquisition due diligence related to various energy deals across Mexico.
- Advised a group of secured bondholders who served as lead equity investors in the recapitalization of Satélites Mexicanos, S.A. de C.V., a leading provider of fixed satellite services in the Americas.
Multi-Jurisdiction Matters in Latin America
- Advised a U.S.-based Fortune 500 engineering and energy company in an internal investigation linked to its operations in Colombia. Following this investigation, the company also hired Ropes & Gray to advise regarding alleged corrupt conduct involving employees and business partners in the U.S. and Venezuela relating to business in South America. This investigation is ongoing.
- Represented Liberty Global plc on the financing in connection with its acquisition of Cable & Wireless Communications, a leading communications provider operating in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Conducted several internal investigations, including onsite interviews, on behalf of a multinational pharmaceutical company involving allegations of corruption and violations of company policy in Latin America, including Colombia, Costa Rica, Venezuela and Mexico.
- Regularly conducts pre-acquisition anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, and sanctions due diligence of targets in high-risk markets in Latin America and the Caribbean for large private equity firms in countries including Mexico, Peru, Colombia, Argentina, Chile and the Dominican Republic.
- Latinvex 2020: Ranked Ropes & Gray among the top international law firms in Latin America and was ranked in the Aviation, Corporate/M&A, FCPA & Fraud, Real Estate and Tax categories.
- Chambers Latin America 2020: Ranked Ropes & Gray as a leading international firm in Latin America-wide: Corporate Crime and Investigations.
- Chambers Latin America 2020 – Notable Practitioners: Nick Berg and Maria Calvet were ranked notable practitioners in Latin America-wide: Corporate Crime and Investigations.
- The Legal 500 Latin America 2019: Ranked Ropes & Gray among the top international firms in the “Corporate and M&A” category.
- The Legal 500 Private Practice Powerlist U.S. – Mexico 2019: Named Nick Berg and Jim Dowden to the Powerlist.
- Chambers Latin America 2019: Ranked Ropes & Gray as a leading international firm in Latin America-wide: Corporate Crime and Investigations.
- Chambers Latin America 2019 – Notable Practitioners: Alex Rene and Jim Dowden were ranked notable practitioners in Latin America-wide: Corporate Crime and Investigations.
- Latinvex 2019: Ranked Ropes & Gray among the top international law firms in Latin America and was ranked in the FCPA & Fraud, Corporate/M&A, Capital Markets and Real Estate categories.
- Latinvex Latin America’s Top 100 Female Lawyers 2019: Recognized María González Calvet and Colleen Conry in “FCPA & Fraud.”
- Latinvex Latin America’s Top 100 Lawyers 2019: Recognized Colleen Conry and Nick Berg in “FCPA & Fraud” and Matt Posthuma in “Capital Markets”
- The Legal 500 Latin America 2018: Ranked Ropes & Gray among the top international firms in the “Corporate and M&A” category.
- The Legal 500 Private Practice Powerlist U.S. – Mexico 2018: Named Nick Berg and Jim Dowden to the Powerlist.
- Latinvex Latin America’s Top 100 Lawyers 2018: Matt Posthuma recognized.
- Latinvex Latin America’s Top 100 Female Lawyers 2018: Colleen Conry recognized.
- Latinvex Latin America’s Rising Legal Stars 2018: Nick Berg recognized.
- Latinvex Latin America’s Top Law Firms 2017: Ranked Ropes & Gray among the top 50 international law firms in Latin America. In addition, R&G was ranked highly in the corporate/M&A subcategory.
- The American Lawyer 2014: Ropes & Gray recognized for “Global M&A Deal of the Year (Latin America/Mexico) for our work on SatMex’s US$1.4 billion sale to Eutelsat Communications.