Clients needing to protect their IP assets work with a team of attorneys at Ropes & Gray that has successfully handled every conceivable issue a business or individual could face.
Our IP practitioners are qualified to practice before the USPTO and the EPO and have experience prosecuting patent applications in approximately 70 countries each year. In addition, our attorneys and in-house patent agents and technical advisors, many of whom hold advanced science and engineering degrees, have a deep understanding of diverse and complex technologies.
We assist clients with all aspects of the patent and trademark process, including:
- Conducting interviews with inventors, designers and other creators to help them decide which intellectual property to protect
- Formulating protection strategies to suit our clients’ business and research objectives at home and abroad
- Drafting applications, keeping in mind the jurisdictional requirements around the world so that a cohesive, cross-border portfolio strategy can be implemented
- Negotiating with patent and trademark offices around the world, supported by more than 100 international patent agents
We also work with clients on all aspects of patent portfolio development, including:
- Life cycle management
- Creating strategies to maximize exclusivity – both patent and regulatory , including follow-on biologics and biosimilar consideration
- Routinely working with the firm’s litigators to develop portfolios that are defensible and with the firm’s transactional attorneys to develop portfolios that can be effectively monetized
With more than 200 IP attorneys, 40 patent agents and technical advisors, and 50 paralegals, we assist our clients in strategically managing large, multinational patent portfolios. We have more than 150 advanced degrees, including 46 Ph.D.s in science and engineering from top universities, including MIT, Harvard, Carnegie Mellon, Yale, Stanford, NYU, the California Institute of Technology and the University of Tokyo.
Our experience in patent procurement includes:
- Handling a large, international patent portfolio for a midsized biotechnology company focusing on antibody therapeutics. The portfolio includes over 50 families of applications including patents related to three products currently under development.
- Assisting a private, venture-backed biotechnology company in developing an international patent portfolio with broad claims to protein engineering technology. This portfolio was a key asset in the company’s recent $400 million acquisition by a pharmaceutical company.
- Helping a pharmaceutical client devise prosecution strategy and, in some instances, draft responses, briefs and/or petitions on its behalf.
- For more than a decade, working with a publicly traded biotechnology company (later acquired by a larger company) to develop and implement a strategy for building a large, worldwide patent portfolio covering the company's core technology platform for producing antibody therapeutics.
- For more than 25 years, acting as counsel to one of the largest and oldest biopharmaceutical companies, assisting the company’s scientists and business managers in developing an IP strategy, and obtaining patents protecting the company's products, including three that each have worldwide sales of over $1 billion.
- Representing the biotech division of a large orthopedic company for more than 15 years, including assisting the company in patenting the results of its research in the area of bone growth – patents that now protect the company's first biotech product.
- For more than 15 years, serving as counsel to a major rational drug design company, having designed, drafted, prosecuted and defended its patent portfolio. Several of these small molecule patents are directed to aspects of the company's commercial products and late-stage clinical candidates.
What others say about Ropes & Gray’s IP practice:
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2006-2013 – IP group internationally recognized, with multiple attorneys ranked as leaders in the field.
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2007-2012 – IP group recognized nationally, and in New York, California and Massachusetts.
- PLC Which Lawyer 2012 – Ropes & Gray ranked in California, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York and nationwide, with six partners listed as leading IP attorneys.
- The Best Lawyers in America 2013 – IP group recognized, with multiple attorneys listed.
- The International Who’s Who of Patent Lawyers – Four Ropes & Gray partners named to its elite list for 2012.
- U.S. News World Reports – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” Report 2013 – Nationally recognized and highly ranked in copyright law, information technology law, trademark law, patent law, patent litigation and IP litigation.
- Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Patent Law Experts – Twelve attorneys from the IP group were listed in the most recent edition – the most of any firm in the United States.