Businesses and investors that participate in the global economy count on Ropes & Gray’s team of international, IP and technology attorneys to protect, commercialize and maximize the value of their technology and IP assets. With attorneys based in Tokyo, Shanghai, Seoul and across the United States, as well as with U.K. solicitors who focus on the new European Union patent court, we work in approximately 70 countries each year and call upon our network of experienced attorneys, patent agents and technical advisors to help us solve whatever technology and IP issues arise.
We help a range of clients from mature U.S.-, Europe-, and Asia-based multinational corporations with significant offshore engineering, manufacturing, marketing, sales, and service organizations, to start-up companies based in the United States and elsewhere seeking new markets for their products and services. We routinely work in the United States, European Union, India, Japan, China, Korea, Latin America and Israel.
We assist clients with:
- IP-driven corporate structuring and restructuring across borders, including remote IP holding company spinouts
- Advice about the distribution and licensing of products in accordance with the legal and regulatory requirements of various countries
- Protection of IP and technology assets
- Managing international technology transfers and cross-border transactions
- Formulation of optimal core supply chain and distribution channel provisions
Our attorneys understand the complex business and financing needs of multinational technology businesses. Working with companies at every stage of development, we provide guidance regarding financial structuring, collaboration and other issues. Our advice includes:
- Handling all aspects of mergers & acquisitions, commercial activities, joint ventures, and strategic alliances
- Managing public and private securities offerings
- Negotiation of licensing arrangements with research institutions, universities, and biotechnology, pharmaceutical, and medical device companies within and outside of the United States
What others are saying about Ropes & Gray’s international technology and IP attorneys:
- Chambers Global 2013 - 17 of our practice areas and 34 of our attorneys were recognized as leaders worldwide.
- Chambers Asia 2013 - Our IP practice was ranked as a leading practice in China, Japan and South Korea.
- Chambers USA 2012 - 41 of our practice areas and 90 lawyers were selected as leaders.
- Asian Legal Business Japan Law Awards – In 2010, we were the recipient of the “Technology, Media and Telecommunications Deal of the Year” for representing Bain Capital in its Bellsystem 24 acquisition, and in 2009, we won this award for our advisory role in Bain Capital’s acquisition of D&M Holdings. We were also a finalist in the “Deal of the Year” category in 2009.
- Asian Legal Business IP Rankings 2013 – Ropes & Gray is listed as a leading law firm.
- IAM Patent 1000 2012 – Ropes & Gray’s IP practice is ranked in Japan and the United States, with 13 partners recognized.
- Managing IP’s 2012 “World IP” survey – Ropes & Gray identified as a leader in “Japan—Foreign Firms, Patent,” “China—Foreign Firms, Patent” and “U.S.—National Firms, Patent-Contentious, Patent-Prosecution, Copyright, Bio Life Sciences and Trademark-Contentious.”
- Managing IP’s North American Awards 2012 – Finalist for the "U.S. Life Science/Biotech Firm of the Year."