With leading practices across a range of key litigation specialties, Ropes & Gray’s litigators consistently deliver winning results for clients, including multinational conglomerates, private equity firms, pharmaceutical and biotech companies, financial institutions, mutual funds, and hospital systems, as well as their officers and directors.
Our cutting-edge advocacy has put us at the forefront of some of the most important cases in recent years, including:
- Arguing a seminal case for the mutual fund industry before the U.S. Supreme Court
- Securing a complete trial victory for a major investment banking firm in a $600 million high-profile lawsuit
- Winning dismissal, at the start of trial, of all 13 felony charges against a medical device manufacturer in exchange for a misdemeanor guilty plea and a fine
- Garnering the first nonprosecution agreement from the SEC under a new program to encourage cooperation in investigations
- Representing major companies in many of the largest and most highly-publicized data security breaches in history
- Decisively winning one of the most significant patent decisions to date on the issue of inequitable conduct
- Successfully navigating multinationals and their officers and directors through today’s global anticorruption landscape.
Leaders in the Field
Ropes & Gray is regularly recognized for our leading litigation practices by publications including Chambers and Partners, The Legal 500, Global Investigations Review, Law360, Benchmark Litigation and U.S. News “Best Law Firms.” In the 2022 edition of Chambers USA, we received nationwide rankings for Litigation: Securities, Corporate Crime & Investigations, FCPA, Antitrust, and Securities: Regulation (Enforcement) and were ranked in multiple jurisdictions for Litigation: General Commercial, Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations, Intellectual Property: Patent Litigation, and E-Discovery & Information Governance. Ropes & Gray is also ranked nationally by The Legal 500 U.S. 2021 for Dispute Resolution in the following areas: General Commercial Disputes, M&A Litigation: Defense, Securities Litigation: Defense, Civil Litigation/Class Actions (Defense), Appellate, Corporate Investigations and White-Collar Criminal Defense, and Appellate. Notably, in recent years we have been named “White Collar Group of the Year,” “Securities Group of the Year,” “Appellate Group of the Year” and “Privacy Group of the Year” by Law360.
With nearly 400 litigators working in 12 offices worldwide, we have the resources and experience to handle large, sophisticated cases in multiple forums and jurisdictions. Our team of litigators includes former federal prosecutors and SEC enforcement attorneys, as well as veterans of the U.S. Department of Justice, Federal Trade Commission and Office of the Solicitor General. We work hand-in-hand with the firm’s corporate, transactional and regulatory attorneys to provide clients with the strategic solution that best fits their needs.
We understand that sometimes the wisest course of action is to keep a dispute from escalating into a courtroom showdown or being aired in the court of public opinion. Other times, a smart, innovative argument sways a judge or persuades an adversary that there is no choice but to settle. If trial is the best option, our accomplished team of trial attorneys achieves outstanding results for clients in state and federal courts.
Clients regularly look to us for guidance with respect to:
- Antitrust Litigation
- Appellate & Supreme Court
- Commercial Litigation
- Corporate & Securities Litigation
- Employment Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- False Claims Act
- Anti-Corruption / International Risk
- Government Enforcement / White Collar Crime
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Privacy & Cybersecurity
- Securities & Futures Enforcement
- Trade Secret Litigation