Recognized as a leader in the field, our M&A practice group possesses both extensive transaction experience and deep industry knowledge. For clients, that means unrivaled counsel on a full range of strategic transactions.
Since 2013, Ropes & Gray has represented companies in M&A transactions with an aggregate value over $300 billion. Many deals involved cross-border and multijurisdictional issues.
Our M&A practice is consistently recognized for successfully guiding clients through highly complex deals that range in size and industry. We are routinely recognized by high profile publications such as Chambers USA, Chambers Global, IFLR1000, and U.S. News & World Report, among others.
The Resources of a Global Firm
Clients want a firm with the resources—and commitment—to achieve their business goals. Ropes & Gray gives you access to over 150 attorneys focused on mergers and acquisitions worldwide. We leverage all our strengths on behalf of our clients, assembling transactional teams that draw upon our significant experience in a wide range of disciplines.
Many of the world’s leading public companies turn to Ropes & Gray to handle deals of every size and complexity. Our broad array of clients includes:
- Public companies
- Boards of directors and special committees
- Private equity firms and their portfolio companies
- Financial advisors
- Institutional investors
- Investment banks
- Investment firms
What others say about Ropes & Gray’s M&A practice:
- Ranked nationally as a leader for “Corporate/M&A: The Elite.”
- Ranked in New York, Massachusetts, California and Illinois as a leader for “Corporate/M&A: The Elite.”
Chambers Global 2018
- Ranked nationally in the U.S., China, India, South Korea, Japan and Asia-wide as a leader for “Corporate/M&A.”
Chambers Asia Pacific 2018
- Ranked Asia-wide as a leader for “Corporate/M&A & Private Equity.”
The Legal 500 US 2018
- Ranked nationally as a leader for “Mergers, Acquisitions and Buyouts: M&A: Large Deals” ($1bn+).
- Ranked nationally as a leader for “M&A Corporate and Commercial: Commercial Deals and Contracts.”
- Ranked nationally as a leader for “Mergers, Acquisitions and Buyouts: Private Equity Buyouts.”
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018
- Ranked in China, Hong Kong, Japan and South Korea.
The Legal 500 Latin America 2017
- Ranked as a leader for “Corporate/M&A.”
- Ranked in Japan, China, South Korea, Hong Kong, and the U.S.
U.S. News Best New Law Firms 2018
- Ranked nationally and in Boston and Chicago as a leader for “Mergers and Acquisitions.”
China Business Law Journal 2017
- Winner of Deal of the Year for China Oceanwide’s acquisition of International Data Group
Our M&A practice group has extensive transaction experience across all industries, including:
- Four Regiment Capital CLOs. Representing the global credit affiliate of Bain Capital in its $1.6 billion acquisition of four portfolios of collateralized loan obligations (CLOs) from Regiment Capital.
- UBS Global Asset Management’s Alternative Fund Services Business. Represented Mitsubishi UFJ Investors Services in its acquisition of UBS Global Asset Management’s Alternative Fund Services Business, a company that offers professional services for hedge funds, funds of hedge funds, private equity and real estate structures.
- Cole Corporate Income Trust, Inc. Represented the independent directors of Cole Corporate Income Trust, Inc. in the $3 billion merger of CCIT with Select Income REIT.
Banking & Finance Companies
- Oportun. Represented Fidelity Management & Research Company in its $90 million investment in Oportun, a mission-driven financial services company formerly known as Progreso Financiero.
- GB Credit Partners. Represented Gordon Brothers Group, a commercial financial company that focuses on middle market lending in its $130 million divestiture of GB Credit Partners.
- Tyson Foods. Represented the financial advisor to Hillshire Brands Company in connection with Hillshire’s sale to Tyson Foods.
- Concord Wealth Management. Represented LPL Investment Holdings, the holding company for one of the nation’s largest independent broker-dealer networks, in its acquisition of Concord Wealth Management, a developer of wealth management solutions for financial institutions.
- LPL Financial. Represented LPL Financial in its acquisition of IFMG Securities, a leader in providing banks, savings and loans, and credit unions nationwide with a portfolio of investment and insurance products, from SunLife.
- TD Ameritrade. Represented Silver Lake Partners in connection with the merger of Ameritrade and TD Waterhouse to form TD Ameritrade.
Insurance, Insurance Brokers and Related Services
- insuranceQuotes.com Represented All Web Leads (AWL), a portfolio company of Genstar Capital, in AWL’s $165 million acquisition of insuranceQuotes.com. the insurance division of Bankrate.
- Cathay Financial. Represented Conning Inc. in its sale of Cathay Financial, an insurance provider based in Taiwan.
- AmWins Group. Represented Dragoneer Investment Group in its investment in AmWins Group, a casualty insurance brokerage firm.
- Hanover Insurance. Represented Hanover Insurance Group in separate transactions involving: (1) the acquisition finance for Hanover’s purchase of The Chaucer Group plc, (2) the sale of Hanover's life insurance subsidiary, First Allmerica Financial Life Insurance Company (FAFLIC), to Commonwealth Annuity & Life Insurance Co., a subsidiary of The Goldman Sachs Group, (3) the sale of its premium finance subsidiary, AMGRO, Inc. to Premium Financing Specialists, Inc., (4) Hanover's acquisition of Citizens Corporation, and (5) the sale of Hanover's universal life insurance business to John Hancock Financial Services.
Payment Processing and Financial Business Services
- First Dealer Resources. Represented Innovative Aftermarket Systems, a Genstar Capital portfolio company, in its acquisition of First Dealer Resources, a provider of aftermarket financial products and services for automotive dealers.
- Shire plc. Represented Dublin-based Shire plc in its agreemend with Baxalta Incorporated to combine the companies for an aggregate consideration of approximately $32 billion.
- Dyax Corp. Represented Shire plc in its $6.5 billion acquisition of Dyax Corp, a biotechnology company primarily focused on the development of plasma kallikrein inhibitors for the treatment of heredity angioedema (HAE), a debilitating and sometimes life-threatening rare genetic disease.
- Hospira. Represented Pfizer Inc. in its $17 billion acquisition of Hospira Inc., a provider of injectable drugs and infusion technologies.
- Wright Medical Group. Represented Wright Medical Group in its $3.3 billion merger of equals with Tornier N.V., a global medical device company focused on orthopedic surgical solutions.
- Par Pharmaceutical Holdings, Inc. Represented Par Pharmaceutical Holdings, Inc. in its $8.05 billion sale to Endo International, a Dublin, Ireland-based producer of generic pharmaceutical products in a deal that will create a specialty pharmaceutical company with a generics business that is among the top five as measured by U.S. sales.
Retail & Consumer Brands
- Diamond Foods, Inc. Representing Deutsche Bank Securities in its role as financial advisor to Snyder’s-Lance, Inc. in its $1.9 billion acquisition of snack product company Diamond Foods, Inc. Snyder’s-Lance sells its products under the Snyder’s of Hanover, Lance, Cape Cod, Snack Factory Pretzel Crisps, Late July, Tom’s Archway, Jays, Stella D’oro, EatSmart, Krunchers! and O-Ke-Doke brands.
- Marquee Brands. Represented Marquee Brands in its acquisition of British men’s clothing brand Ben Sherman, and its related intellectual property assets from Oxford Industries.
- the Adidas Group. Represented the Adidas Group in its $280 million sale of its Rockport shoe business.
- Petco Animal Supplies, Inc. Represented TPG Capital and Petco Animal Supplies, Inc., in connection with a definitive agreement by which funds affiliated with CVC Capital Partners and Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB) are to jointly acquire Petco from a group of investors led by TPG and Leonard Green & Partners for approximately $4.6 billion.
- The TJX Companies Inc. Represented the leading off-price retailer of apparel and home fashions in the United States and worldwide, in its AUD$80 million acquisition of Trade Secret, an off-price retailer with 35 stores in Australia.
- Group Basis. Represented Massachusetts-based TriCore Solutions, LLC in its acquisition of Group Basis, LLC, a cloud-based data center providing SAP technical solutions for firms needing SAP Basis administration
- Urban Robotics. Represented OGS Holdings in its $140 million investment in Urban Robotics, a provider of software and hardware solutions for intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR) applications and remote sensing and geospatial applications worldwide.
- TravelClick. Represented TravelClick, a provider of cloud-based revenue-generating solutions for hoteliers, in its $930 million sale to Thoma Bravo.
- Aeroflex’s Diode Business. Represented M/A-COM Technology Solutions Holdings, Inc. in its acquisition of Aeroflex’s diode business. M/A-COM is a leading supplier of high-performance analog radio frequency, microwave, millimeterwave and photonic semiconductor products that enable next-generation Internet and modern battlefield applications.
- JK Lasers. Represented GSI Group in its $31.5 million sale of its UK-based JK Lasers business, a manufacturer of industrial lasers for the semiconductor, electronics, medical device and aerospace industries.
- ATMI Inc. Represented Entegris, Inc. in Its $1.2 billion acquisition of ATMI Inc., a supplier of high performance materials, materials packaging and materials delivery systems for use in the manufacturing of microelectronic devices worldwide.
- ON Semiconductor Corporation. Representing Deutsche Bank in its role as financial advisor to ON Semiconductor Corporation in its $2.4 billion acquisition of Fairchild Semiconductor International
- FiBest Limited. Represented M/A-COM Technology Solutions Holdings, Inc., a leading supplier of high performance analog RF, microwave, millimeter wave and photonic semiconductor products, in its $60 million acquisition of FiBest Limited, a Japanese-based merchant market component supplier of optical subassemblies.
- JinkoSolar Power Engineering Group. Represented Macquarie Greater China Infrastructure Fund in its investment in JinkoSolar Power, a developer of photovoltaic products.
Telecom / Wireless
- Cable & Wireless Communications. Representing Liberty Global plc on the financing arrangements in connection with the acquisition of Cable & Wireless Communications plc by Liberty Global. The transaction is based on a total equity value of approximately £3.5 billion for Cable & Wireless.
- Fibertech Networks. Represented Berkshire Partners and Lightower Fiber Networks in the latter’s $1.9 billion merger with Fibertech Networks. Lightower provides custom, high-capacity network services while Fibertech offers fiber-optic based network services through mid-size cities in the eastern and central regions of the United States.
- Numericable-SFR. Represented Altice France SA in connection with the financing in its $2.2 billion acquisition of Numericable-SFR, a provider of cable and fiber optics services in France.
- Oi S.A. Represented Altice VII Sarl in connection with the financing in its proposed €7.4 billion acquisition of the Portuguese operations of Oi S.A., a provider of integrated telecommunication services for residential customers, companies and governmental agencies in Brazil.
- Lightower Fiber Networks and Sidera Networks. Represented Berkshire Partners in its proposed $2 billion acquisition of Lightower Fiber Networks, a provider of fiber network and broadband services, and Sidera Networks, Inc., a provider of facilities-based solutions and network services.
- Animal Planet. Represented Jupiter Telecommunications in its sale of Animal Planet, LLC, an operator of a television network offering content based on animals.
- Jupiter Shop Channel. Represented Bain Capital in its acquisition of Jupiter Shop Channel Co. Ltd., an operator of a television shopping channel in Japan.
Internet / Digital Media Providers
- The Weather Company. Represented Bain Capital and their portfolio company, The Weather Company, in the sale of its product and technology business to IBM in what is one of the largest leveraged buyouts of the year. The purchase included The Weather Company’s B2B, mobile and cloud-based web properties, WSI and weather.com businesses.
- Qunar Cayman Islands Limited. Represented Qunar Cayman Islands Limited in connection with the sale by Baidu, Inc. of a controlling interest in Qunar to Ctrip.com International, Ltd. As a result of the stock swap transaction, Ctrip acquired 45% of Qunar and Baidu received a 25% stake in Ctrip. Qunar, with a market capitalization of $5 billion, and Ctrip, with a post-transaction market capitalization of $12 billion, are the leading mobile and online travel platforms in China. Baidu is the leading Chinese language Internet search provider.
- Ziggo N.V. Represented Liberty Global in connection with the financing of the $15 billion acquisition of Ziggo N.V. a provider of media and communication services in the Netherlands.
- Wikispaces. Represented TSL Education Limited, a TPG Capital portfolio company operating online social networks to connect teachers and students worldwide, in its acquisition of Tangient LLC, a provider of a social writing platform for education called Wikispaces Classroom.