A Destination M&A Practice
Recognized as leaders in the field, our M&A attorneys possess both extensive transactional experience and deep industry knowledge. We hold a strong track record of advising strategic investors on a wide variety of corporate transactions, creating and implementing innovative deal structures driven by industry trends and evolving market terms.
Our transaction teams include attorneys with various specialties, including finance, tax, intellectual property, data privacy, regulatory, employment, antitrust, anti-corruption and international risk, and litigation, which allow us to present an integrated service offering to resolve matters that span the full spectrum of transaction-related issues.
A Client-Centric Focus
Clients value a firm with the global resources—and steadfast commitment to cultivating relationships—to achieve their business goals. Ropes & Gray’s M&A attorneys navigate clients through some of the largest, most complex and demanding transactions around the world. We are consistently recognized for our excellence in client service and responsiveness, delivering the quick turnaround needed to keep pace with business demands.
We advise a broad array of clients:
As a full-service M&A practice, we work seamlessly with our attorneys across the globe to advise clients on transactions in a wide range of industries, including:
- Represented HP Inc. in its acquisition of Poly Inc., a maker of audio and video devices.
- Represented McAfee, a global leader in online protection, in a sale worth over $14 billion to an investor group.
- Represented Qorvo in its acquisition of Decawave Limited, a pioneer in ultra-wideband technology and a provider of UWB solutions for mobile, automotive and IoT applications, in a transaction named 2020 “Deal of the Year” by The Irish Times.
- Represented Altimeter Growth Corp. in a $40 billion stock-for-stock merger with Grab Holdings.
- Represented Atlantic Media, Inc., a national media company that includes Quartz, National Journal Group, and Government Executive Media Group, in:
- the sale of Quartz, a global business news outlet, to Uzabase, a Japanese business intelligence and media company which is publicly traded on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, for cash and Uzabase stock.
- the sale of a majority ownership stake in The Atlantic to Emerson Collective, which was founded and is run by Laurene Powell Jobs.
- Represented China Oceanwide USA Holdings in its acquisition of International Data Group (IDG), the leading global media, market research and venture company operating in 97 countries globally.
- Represented Mentor Graphics Corporation in its $4.5 billion acquisition by Siemens AG.
- Represented Gordon Brothers, a global advisory, restructuring and investment firm specializing in the industrial, consumer products and retail sectors, in an investment from Trident VII funds managed by Stone Point Capital LLC.
- Represented Landmark Partners, a leading investor in the private equity, real estate and asset secondary market, in the sale of a majority interest in Landmark to OM Asset Management plc.
- Represented LPL Financial, a leading retail investment advisory firm and independent broker/dealer in its acquisition of the independent broker-dealer network of National Planning Holdings, Inc.
- Represented MUFG Investor Services, the global asset servicing group of Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group, in its acquisition of Guggenheim Investments’ 1940-Act mutual fund administration business, Rydex Fund Services.
- Represented State Street Bank and Trust Company in the acquisition of GE Asset Management (GEAM), a leading asset manager, from GE.
- Represented TPG’s global impact fund, The Rise Fund, in its Series B funding round in Varo Money, a financial technology company that provides mobile-only banking solutions.
- Represented Pfizer Inc. in numerous strategic acquisitions with a combined equity value of over $50 billion, including acquisitions of Biohaven Pharmaceuticals, Arena Pharmaceuticals, Trillium Therapeutics, Medivation and Hospira.
- Represented Acceleron Pharma, a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing therapeutics to treat rare diseases, in its $11.5 billion sale to Merck & Co.
- Represented Medtronic in its $1.1 billion acquisition of Intersect ENT.
- Represented Galderma, a leading independent dermatology company, in its sale of Alchemee (f/k/a The Proactiv Company) to Taro Pharmaceuticals.
- Represented Dublin-based Shire plc in:
- the $6.5 billion acquisition of Dyax Corp.
- the $32 billion combination with Baxalta Incorporated.
- Represented publicly held Surgery Partners Inc. in its $760 million acquisition of private equity-backed National Surgical Healthcare.
- Represented Wright Medical Group in its $3.3 billion merger of equals with Tornier N.V., a global medical device company focused on orthopedic surgical solutions.
- Represented Dunkin’ Brands in its $11.3 billion sale to Inspire Brands.
- Represented Max Finkelstein, a distributor of passenger and light truck tires throughout the northeast U.S., in its sale to U.S. Autoforce, a wholesale business-to-business company.
- Represented Planet Fitness, one of the largest and fastest-growing franchisors and operators of fitness centers in the United States by number of members and locations, in its acquisition of Sunshine Fitness, an operator of 114 gym locations in the Eastern U.S..
- Represented the adidas Group in numerous transactions, including the sales of its Mitchell & Ness business and Rockport shoe business.
- Represented The Hershey Company in its acquisition of Pirate Brands, including the Pirate’s Booty, Smart Puffs and Original Tings brands from B&G Foods, Inc.
- Represented Multi Packaging Solutions Limited, a leading global provider of print-based specialty packaging solutions, in its $2.28 billion sale to WestRock Company.
- Represented a committee of the board of directors for Market Basket in a deal that enabled minority shareholders to buy out majority shareholders.
- Represented Timberland Company, a footwear company, in its $2.23 billion sale to V.F. Corporation.
Our team regularly serves as outside counsel to a number of investment banks in their capacity as financial advisor in a wide variety of M&A transactions, including the following recent transactions:
- Invitae in its $1.4 billion combination with ArcherDX to create a global leader in comprehensive cancer genetics and precision oncology.
- Clarivate Analytics’s acquisition of Decision Resources Group.
- Broadcom’s acquisition of CA Technologies.
- Comstock Resources’ acquisition of oil and gas interests of Arkoma Drilling, L.P. and Williston Drilling, L.P.
- Cohu’s acquisition of Xcerra Corporation.
- ON Semiconductor’s acquisition of Fairchild Semiconductor.
- Sale of Infinity Property and Casualty Corporation to Kemper Corporation.
Ropes & Gray’s award-winning M&A practice is regularly ranked among the world’s leading practices by high-profile publications such as Chambers, The Legal 500, IFLR1000 and U.S. News & World Report.
The American Lawyer
- Named to the 2021 “Dealmakers of the Year” list
- Ranked #1 on The American Lawyer's 2022 “A-List”
- This is the sixth consecutive year the firm has placed in the top-three and the 12th consecutive year that the firm has been named to this key legal industry benchmark, ranking the firm among the “best of the best.”
Chambers USA 2023
- Ranked in the U.S. for “Corporate/M&A: The Elite” and “Private Equity: Buyouts”
- Ranked in Massachusetts for “Corporate/M&A and Private Equity: Buyouts”
- Ranked in New York for “Corporate/M&A: Highly Regarded” and "Private Equity: Buyouts"
- Ranked in California for “Corporate/M&A: Private Equity”
- Ranked in Illinois for “Corporate/M&A: Private Equity”
Chambers Global 2022
- Ranked in the Asia-Pacific Region for “Corporate/M&A: Private Equity”
- Ranked in China for “Corporate/M&A: Highly Regarded (International Firms)”
- Ranked in Japan for “Corporate/M&A: International”
- Ranked in South Korea for “Corporate/M&A: International Firms”
- Ranked in the U.S. for “Corporate/M&A (International & Cross-Border)”
The Legal 500 US 2021
- Ranked nationally as a leader for “M&A Corporate and Commercial: Large Deals ($1bn+)”
- Ranked nationally as a leader for “M&A Corporate and Commercial: Private Equity Buyouts”
- Ranked nationally as a leader for “M&A Corporate and Commercial: Shareholder Activism: Advice to Boards”
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021
- Ranked in China, Hong Kong, Japan and South Korea for “Corporate/M&A”
- Ranked in China and Hong Kong for “Private Equity”
The Legal 500 Latin America 2021
- Ranked as a leader for “Corporate and M&A”
The Deal 2019
- “Healthcare & Pharma Deal of the Year”
- Ranked Tier 2 in the U.S. for M&A
LMG Life Sciences 2022
- Shortlisted for “M&A Firm of the Year” and “Corporate Firm of the Year”
U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” 2020
- “Law Firm of the Year” in Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law
- Ranked Tier 1 in the U.S. for “Mergers and Acquisitions Law”