A Destination M&A Practice
Recognized as leaders in the field, our M&A attorneys possess both extensive transactional experience and deep industry knowledge. We hold a strong track record of advising strategic investors on a wide variety of corporate transactions, creating and implementing innovative deal structures driven by industry trends and evolving market terms.
Our transaction teams include attorneys with various specialties, including tax, intellectual property, finance, antitrust, employee benefits, environmental, litigation, and government enforcement, which allow us to present an integrated service offering to resolve matters that span the full spectrum of transaction-related issues.
A Client-Centric Focus
Clients value a firm with the global resources—and steadfast commitment to cultivating relationships—to achieve their business goals. Ropes & Gray’s M&A attorneys navigate clients through some of the largest, most complex and demanding transactions around the world. We are consistently recognized for our excellence in client service and responsiveness, delivering the quick turnaround needed to keep pace with business demands.
We advise a broad array of clients:
As a full-service M&A practice, we work seamlessly with our attorneys across the globe to advise clients on transactions in a wide range of industries, including:
- Represented Atlantic Media, Inc., a national media company that includes Quartz, National Journal Group, and Government Executive Media Group, in:
- the sale of Quartz, a global business news outlet, to Uzabase, a Japanese business intelligence and media company which is publicly traded on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, for cash and Uzabase stock.
- the sale of a majority ownership stake in The Atlantic to Emerson Collective, which was founded and is run by Laurene Powell Jobs.
- Represented ASM Pacific Technology Limited in its acquisition of Tel NEXX Inc., a manufacturer of ECD and PVD systems, and other semiconductor process equipment in the U.S. and internationally.
- Represented Best Doctors, the world’s leading expert medical consultation company focused on improving health outcomes for the most complex, critical and costly medical issues, in its $440 million sale to Teladoc, Inc.
- Represented China Oceanwide USA Holdings in its acquisition of International Data Group (IDG), the leading global media, market research and venture company operating in 97 countries globally.
- Represented MagneMotion, Inc., a US-based developer of industrial machinery and technology hardware, in its sale to Rockwell Automation, Inc.
- Represented Mentor Graphics Corporation in its $4.5 billion acquisition by Siemens AG.
- Represented Novanta, Inc., a global leader and supplier of photonics, precision motion and vision technologies to OEMs, in its acquisition of ThingMagic, a division of Trimble.
- Represented Revint Solutions in its acquisition of Naveos, a healthcare data analytics company.
- Represented Gordon Brothers, a global advisory, restructuring and investment firm specializing in the industrial, consumer products and retail sectors, in an investment from Trident VII funds managed by Stone Point Capital LLC.
- Represented Landmark Partners, a leading investor in the private equity, real estate and asset secondary market, in the sale of a majority interest in Landmark to OM Asset Management plc.
- Represented LPL Financial, a leading retail investment advisory firm and independent broker/dealer in its acquisition of the independent broker-dealer network of National Planning Holdings, Inc.
- Represented MUFG Investor Services, the global asset servicing group of Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group, in its acquisition of Guggenheim Investments’ 1940-Act mutual fund administration business, Rydex Fund Services.
- Represented State Street Bank and Trust Company in the acquisition of GE Asset Management (GEAM), a leading asset manager, from GE.
- Represented TPG’s global impact fund, The Rise Fund, in its Series B funding round in Varo Money, a financial technology company that provides mobile-only banking solutions.
- Represented global neurosurgery and neurovascular business Codman Neuro, an affiliate of Johnson & Johnson, in its acquisition of Irish stroke care company Neuravi Limited.
- Represented Dublin-based Shire plc in:
- the $6.5 billion acquisition of Dyax Corp.
- the $32 billion combination with Baxalta Incorporated.
- Represented Pfizer Inc. in its $17 billion acquisition of Hospira Inc., a provider of injectable drugs and infusion technologies.
- Represented Par Pharmaceutical Holdings, Inc. on its $8.05 billion acquisition by Ireland-based Endo International.
- Represented SCIOInspire, a provider of healthcare analytics solutions and services, in its sale to EXL Service.com.
- Represented publicly held Surgery Partners Inc. in its $760 million acquisition of private equity-backed National Surgical Healthcare.
- Represented Wright Medical Group in its $3.3 billion merger of equals with Tornier N.V., a global medical device company focused on orthopedic surgical solutions.
- Represented the adidas Group in numerous transactions, including the sales of its Mitchell & Ness business and Rockport shoe business.
- Represented Advent International Corp., Berkshire Partners, Weston Presidio and Party City in the $2.69 billion sale of a majority stake of Party City, an operator and franchisor of party goods and supplies stores, to Thomas H. Lee Partners LP.
- Represented The Hershey Company in its acquisition of Pirate Brands, including the Pirate’s Booty, Smart Puffs and Original Tings brands from B&G Foods, Inc.
- Represented Multi Packaging Solutions Limited, a leading global provider of print-based specialty packaging solutions, in its $2.28 billion sale to WestRock Company.
- Represented The Special Committee of the Board of Directors of DAVIDsTEA in its proxy contest with 46% holder Herschel Segal, which resulted in the election of a new seven director slate.
- Represented a committee of the board of directors for Market Basket in a deal that enabled minority shareholders to buy out majority shareholders.
- Represented Timberland Company, a footwear company, in its $2.23 billion sale to V.F. Corporation.
Our team regularly serves as outside counsel to a number of investment banks in their capacity as financial advisor in a wide variety of M&A transactions, including the following recent transactions:
- Broadcom’s acquisition of CA Technologies.
- Comstock Resources’ acquisition of oil and gas interests of Arkoma Drilling, L.P. and Williston Drilling, L.P.
- Cohu’s acquisition of Xcerra Corporation.
- ON Semiconductor’s acquisition of Fairchild Semiconductor.
- Sale of Infinity Property and Casualty Corporation to Kemper Corporation.
- Sale of The Finish Line, Inc. to JD Sports Fashion Plc.
- Sale of C.H. Guenther & Son, Inc. to an affiliate of the Pritzker Group.
Ropes & Gray’s award-winning M&A practice is regularly ranked among the world’s leading practices by high-profile publications such as Chambers, The Legal 500, IFLR1000 and U.S. News & World Report.
The American Lawyer
- Named to the 2019 “Dealmakers of the Year” list
- Ranked on The American Lawyer's 2019 “A-List”
- This is the ninth consecutive year that the firm has been named to this key legal industry benchmark, ranking the firm among the “best of the best”
Chambers USA 2019
- Ranked in the U.S. for “Corporate/M&A: The Elite” and “Private Equity: Buyouts”
- Ranked in Massachusetts for “Corporate/M&A and Private Equity: Buyouts”
- Ranked in New York for “Corporate/M&A: Highly Regarded”
- Ranked in California for “Corporate/M&A: Private Equity”
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2019
- Ranked in the Asia-Pacific Region for “Corporate/M&A: Private Equity”
- Ranked in China for “Corporate/M&A: Highly Regarded (International Firms)”
- Ranked in Japan for “Corporate/M&A: International”
- Ranked in South Korea for “Corporate/M&A: International Firms”
The Legal 500 US 2019
- Ranked nationally as a leader for “M&A Corporate and Commercial: Large Deals ($1bn+)”
- Ranked nationally as a leader for “M&A Corporate and Commercial: Commercial Deals and Contracts”
- Ranked nationally as a leader for “M&A Corporate and Commercial: Private Equity Buyouts”
- Ranked nationally as a leader for “M&A Corporate and Commercial: Shareholder Activism: Advice to Boards”
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019
- Ranked in China and Hong Kong for “Private Equity”
The Legal 500 Latin America 2019
- Ranked as a leader for “Corporate/M&A”
The Deal 2019
- “Healthcare & Pharma Deal of the Year”
- Ranked Tier 1 in Massachusetts and Tier 2 nationally and in New York for M&A
- Ranked for M&A in Japan and China
- Ranked Top 15 “Best Law Firms for M&A” and Top 10 “Best Law Firms for Private Equity”
U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” 2020
- “Law Firm of the Year” in Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law
- Ranked Tier 1 in the U.S. for “Mergers and Acquisitions Law”
China Business Law Journal 2017
- Winner of Deal of the Year for China Oceanwide’s acquisition of International Data Group