Ropes & Gray has been at the forefront of private equity deals practically since the invention of the leveraged buyout. Our commitment to both middle market and multibillion-dollar deals provides us with unique perspective in the private equity industry.
Noteworthy large cap transactions include representation of:
- Bain Capital in its $18 billion consortium buyout of the Toshiba Corp. semiconductor business, the largest Japanese deal since 2011, and the largest private equity and leveraged finance deal ever seen in Asia.
- Bain Capital in its $2.66 billion sale of Carver Korea Co., Ltd., the fastest-growing skincare business in South Korea, to Unilever.
- Intermediate Capital Group in its $5.3 billion consortium buyout of Visma, in Europe’s largest ever software buyout.
- Baring Private Equity Asia in its $1.8 billion sale of Weetabix, one of the largest producers of breakfast cereals and a household brand in the UK, to US-based Post Holdings.
- CCMP Capital Advisors in its acquisition of a controlling interest in Truck Hero, a leading provider of highly functional aftermarket accessories for pickup trucks and Jeeps.
- TPG Capital in connection with its joint investment with Intel Corporation to establish McAfee a spin-out of Intel Security in a transaction valuing the business at $4.2 billion. McAfee is a newly formed, jointly owned independent cybersecurity company. The transaction creates one of the world’s largest pure-play cybersecurity firms.
- Multi Packaging Solutions, a leading global provider of print-based specialty packaging solutions in the $2.3 billion sale of MPS to WestRock Company.
- TPG Capital and Petco Animal Supplies in the $4.6 billion sale of Petco Animal Supplies to funds affiliated with CVC Capital Partners and Canada Pension Plan Investment Board. The transaction is considered to be one of the largest leveraged buyouts and exits of 2016.
- Bain Capital in its $2.4 billion acquisition of Blue Coat Systems, which offers an integrated portfolio of security solutions that protect enterprises against some of today’s most advanced technology threats.
Noteworthy middle market transactions include representation of:
- Bain Capital in its acquisition of Innocor, Inc. a leading designer and manufacturer of advanced foam products for commercial and retail outlets.
- Mediware Information Systems, a portfolio company of TPG Capital, in its acquisition of Kinnser Software, Inc. from Insight Venture Partners.
- Golden Gate Capital in its acquisition of the Bob Evans Restaurants business from Bob Evans Farms, Inc. for $565 million. Bob Evans Restaurants owns and operates more than 500 family restaurants in 18 states.
- China Oceanwide Holdings Group in its acquisition of International Data Group (IDG), including its subsidiaries International Data Corporation (IDC), IDG Communications and IDG Ventures.
- H.I.G. Capital and its portfolio company Surgery Partners, in its $760 million acquisition of National Surgical Healthcare (NSH). Surgery Partners is one of the largest and fastest growing surgical services businesses in the United States. Its combination with NSH created a diversified inpatient and outpatient surgical provider with a portfolio of 125 surgical facilities.
- TSG Consumer Partners in its acquisition of Duckhorn Wine Company. The transaction included all six Duckhorn Wine Company wineries: Duckhorn Vineyards, Goldeneye, Paraduxx, Migration, Decoy and Canvasback, as well as their corresponding properties, and more than 600 acres of estate vineyards, including Three Palms Vineyard in California’s Napa Valley.
With world-leading practices in both private equity funds and private equity transactions, Ropes & Gray is able to provide clients with unsurpassed services in all aspects of the PE industry.
Ropes & Gray’s more than 175 private equity lawyers routinely advise leading large- and middle-market clients in multiple industries on every aspect of their largest and most complex global transactions. Clients retain us again and again for our deep understanding of their needs, issues and goals. They rely on us to help them make the right deals on the right terms, thoughtfully assess risk and make appropriate trade-offs, and respond quickly to meet business demands.
PE Industry Leaders
Ropes & Gray’s award-winning private equity group is regularly ranked among the world’s leading PE practices by Chambers, Legal 500 and others. Our impressive client base includes 6 of the 10 largest U.S. funds and 36 of the 100 largest global funds routinely doing deals over $1 billion. We also counsel more than 80 mid-market firms regularly doing $100 million to $1 billion transactions.
Balanced Practice Between Mid and Large-Cap Deals
Announced PE-Related Transactions
January 2014 – April 2018
(# of transactions)
$100M - $1B
Our clients get integrated global service and creative yet practical solutions to their legal and business challenges. Clients can draw on the rich and deep experience of our lawyers in offices around the world.
- Chambers USA 2018 – Ranked nationwide for private equity. Multiple attorneys are also ranked individually nationwide and in Massachusetts, California, Illinois and New York for private equity and corporate/M&A.
- U.S. News & World Report-Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” 2018 – Ranked nationally and regionally for “Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law” with 12 attorneys listed as Best Lawyers.
- Legal 500 U.S. 2018 – Ranked highly in the United States for “Private Equity: Buyouts,” with 2 lawyers recognized in their Hall of Fame
- IFLR1000 2018 – Ranked highly in the U.S., UK, China and Hong Kong for private equity, with 14 ranked attorneys
- Law360 Practice Group of the Year (2017) – Recognized as a top private equity practice.
- Vault (2018) – Ranked Top 10 “Best Law Firm” for Private Equity
- Chambers Asia-Pacific 2018 – Highly ranked in the Asia-Pacific region for private equity
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018 – Ranked highly in Hong Kong for “Private Equity” practice
- IFLR1000 2018 – Highly ranked in private equity transactions in Hong Kong
- Asian Legal Awards 2018 – Awarded the “M&A Deal of the Year: North Asia” and “Private Equity Deal of the Year” for our work on Toshiba Corp.’s sale of its memory chip business and Nord Anglia Education $4.3B privatization respectively
- Chambers UK 2018 – Ranked once again for “Investment Funds: Private Equity” and “Private Equity: Buyouts: High-end Capability,” with four private equity attorneys listed as leaders in their field
- Legal 500 UK 2018 – Ranked in the U.K. as a leading “Private Equity: Transactions – Large Cap Deal Capability” practice, with two attorneys named as leaders in the field