Ropes & Gray has one of the largest and most sophisticated private investment funds practices, advising both fund sponsors and investors. The size, scope and integration of the sponsor and investor practices – we form and review many hundreds of funds each year – give us unequalled insight into market terms and developments around the world. Our clients benefit from this unsurpassed depth of experience as we provide seasoned advice, practical and innovative solutions, and first-class service.
The private investment funds group consists of more than 100 lawyers that provide global coverage. We have fund attorneys resident in the United States, Europe and Asia to provide real time advice and local knowledge to sponsors and investors in each of those regions.
We are counsel to many of the largest and most well-known fund sponsors and fund investors in the industry. Our sponsor practice also includes representation of a great many middle market and emerging managers. Our practice and our attorneys have been recognized both nationally and internationally by Chambers, Best Lawyers, Legal 500 and others as leaders in the private investment funds industry.
For more details about our capabilities please visit:
Our clients get integrated global service and creative and practical solutions to their legal and business challenges. Clients can draw on the rich and deep experience of our lawyers in offices around the world. We have been ranked by Chambers Global for the last eight years as one of the world’s leading fund formation practices. Our other accolades include:
- U.S. News-Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” 2016 – Top-ranked nationally and in Boston, Chicago, New York and San Francisco for private funds/hedge funds law, with 10 attorneys ranked as leaders in the field. Named “Law Firm of the Year” for private funds/hedge funds law for three years (2015, 2013 and 2012).
- Chambers USA 2016 – Ranked nationally for investment funds: private equity: fund formation and in the top band in Massachusetts for private equity: fund formation, with five attorneys listed as leaders in the field.
- The Legal 500 US 2016 – Ranked nationally for investment fund formation and management: private equity funds, with five attorneys recommended as leaders in the field, and one attorney named a “Leading Lawyer.”
- IFLR1000 2016 – Ranked in the US for private equity funds, with three attorneys recognized as rising stars in the field.
- Best Lawyers in America 2015 – 10 attorneys listed as leaders in private funds/hedge funds law for Boston, New York, East Palo Alto and Chicago.
- Chambers Asia-Pacific 2016 – Ranked in the Asia-Pacific region and in China for investment funds: private equity, with one attorney recommended as a leader in the field.
- The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific 2016 – Ranked for investment funds in Hong Kong, with one attorney recommended as a leader in the field.
- IFLR1000 2016 – Ranked highly among the foreign firms in China for private equity and for private equity funds in Hong Kong, with one attorney listed as a leader in the field.
- Chambers UK 2016 – Ranked UK-wide for investment funds: private equity, with one attorney listed as a notable practitioner.
- The Legal 500 UK 2015 – Ranked for finance: investment funds: private funds, with three attorneys listed as leaders in the field.
- IFLR1000 2016 – Ranked in the UK for private equity funds, with one attorney listed as a leader in the field.