In today’s global business environment, in which regulation is increasingly complex and shareholder activism is on the rise, companies and buyout firms need an experienced advocate to protect their vital business interests. In the past decade, Ropes & Gray has represented companies in M&A transactions with an aggregate value of more than $400 billion, many of which involved cross-border and multijurisdictional issues A leader in both global M&A and litigation, Ropes & Gray provides clients with unrivaled counsel on strategic transactions, as well as the possible litigation challenges that can follow major deals.
Representing buyers, sellers, companies, officers, directors and special committees, our M&A corporate lawyers and litigators work hand-in-hand on transactions, ensuring that each and every deal is crafted and reviewed from both a business and litigation standpoint. As a result, our clients frequently avoid litigation—or have the best possible record for defending an action if one is brought. Our attorneys have successfully litigated virtually every type of dispute relating to M&A transactions, including:
- Class action fiduciary duty litigation
- Controlling stockholder M&A litigation
- Dual-class transactions and litigation
- Contests for corporate control regarding fiduciary duties and responsibilities
- Friendly and hostile takeovers
- Litigation arising out of large, complex going-private transactions
- Appraisal claims and litigation arising out of public M&A transactions
- Post-closing deal disputes, including working capital and purchase price adjustment disputes
- Negotiation and crafting of representations and warranties insurance policies
In addition, our attorneys have defended numerous securities fraud claims in federal and state courts nationwide, as well as all aspects of class and derivative actions and corporate governance disputes before the Delaware Court of Chancery, which often arise in the context of acquisitions.