Garin T. Muranaka
Garin represents private equity companies, hedge funds, university endowments and other institutional investors in connection with a wide variety of real estate transactions, including joint ventures, co-investments, preferred equity investments, construction, permanent and mezzanine financing, and acquisitions and dispositions. Garin has represented investors in joint venture and limited partnership transactions to invest in domestic and foreign assets across the real estate spectrum, including life sciences, senior living facilities, apartments, hotels, performing and distressed loans, data centers, office and retail.
Garin regularly represents private investment funds and separate accounts in the acquisition and disposition of pools of performing and non-performing residential loans, including the negotiation of forward or “flow” purchase agreements, and servicing agreements for the servicing of loan pools.
Garin has experience both domestically and abroad and has represented clients in transactions in Asia, Europe and throughout the United States.
- Representation of PIMCO on matters relating to the ongoing operations and administration of PIMCO sponsored and advised private investment funds and hedge funds and separate accounts with respect to real estate investments, including the acquisition, disposition and ongoing evaluation of investments in commercial and residential, performing and distressed, real estate loans.
- Representation of TPG Real Estate, the real estate platform of TPG, in its purchase of a 75 percent stake in a $2.5 billion portfolio of high-yield commercial real estate loans from Deutsche Bank’s special situations group.
- Representation of sovereign investor in a co-investment to acquire an approximately $4 billion portfolio of office properties in New York City and the greater New York area.
- Representation of Harvard Management Company, the investment adviser for the Harvard University endowment, in negotiating and structuring real estate investments through joint ventures, funds, co-investment and management arrangements with sponsors, operators and managers, including the acquisition and construction financing of a $232 million life sciences high-rise, the acquisition of a major Northeast affordable housing complex for $200 million, and the acquisition of a portfolio of over 30 Northeast apartment properties for over $370 million.
- Representation of a joint venture between Abrams Capital Management LP and Amerimar Enterprises Inc. in the acquisition of several data centers located in major U.S. cities.
- Representation of sovereign wealth fund in co-investment in the acquisition and redevelopment of a New York City hotel requiring a projected $80+ million in capital.
- Representation of the distressed investment division of one of the largest private equity firms in acquisitions of individual and pooled non-performing loans.
- Representation of one of the largest private equity firms in the negotiation of joint ventures with operating partners and co-investors for the acquisition of real estate, including the acquisition of a Class A office campus in Southern California for approximately $50 million.
- Representation of a preeminent global hedge fund in the negotiation of joint ventures with operating partners and related acquisitions of real estate and real estate related debt, including the acquisition and financing of a 1+ acre site in New York City to be developed into a multi-tower condominium development requiring approximately $600 million in combined capital.
- Regularly represents a collection of publicly-traded REITs including a series of acquisitions of commercial, medical and government office buildings across the U.S.
- Walter R. McCabe III and Garin Muranaka, “Playing On the World Stage; Cross-Border Real Estate Investing,” Inside the Minds: Navigating Cross-Border Real Estate Matters (October 2013)
- David Djaha, Laurie Nelson, and Garin Muranaka, “Primer for High Net Worth Individuals Buying Real Estate in NY,” Asian Real Estate Association of America Journal (Spring 2012)