Geoffrey M. Mason
Geoff Mason joined Ropes & Gray in 2005, and is a partner in the private client group. Geoff focuses his practice on estate planning, trust administration and charitable gift planning. Geoff works closely with a number of high net worth clients, including entrepreneurs, corporate executives and private equity and venture capital principals, to develop and implement estate and gift plans that meet their personal and financial goals in a tax-efficient manner. Geoff also serves as trustee of many family trusts, and advises trustees and beneficiaries in connection with investment, tax and fiduciary matters. Geoff’s charitable practice consists of advising trust companies and major non-profit organizations with respect to charitable trust administration and planned giving.
- Represented founder and executive of major technology company in estate, gift and charitable planning matters from early stages of company through IPO.
- Assisted with the development and implementation of plan to transfer ownership of privately-held company to second and subsequent generations over several years.
- Worked with donor to develop a $20 million charitable commitment to a university, including outright gifts, charitable remainder trusts and charitable lead trusts.
- Represents State Street Global Advisors’ Charitable Asset Management Group in connection with their administration of charitable trusts and gift annuity programs.
- Developed and implemented gift program, including taxable gifts and GRATs, for owner of large, privately-held company.
- Presenter, SSgA, Annual Gift Planning Conferences (2010 - 2014)
- Presenter, MCLE, 14th and 15th Annual New England Estate Planning Conferences (2013 and 2014)
- Presenter, MCLE, Incorporating Portability in Estate Planning (2013)
- Presenter, Boston Bar Association, Brown Bag Lunch Sessions (2007, 2011 and 2012)