Ropes & Gray’s global medical device practice serves as a core component of the firm’s interdisciplinary life sciences group, advising medical device clients ranging in size from start-ups to Fortune 500 companies.
We work with clients in the following areas:
Corporate/transactional: mergers and acquisitions (M&A), licensing, strategic collaborations and other partnering agreements, venture capital financings and securities offerings, SEC compliance, and corporate governance
- Intellectual property: patent due diligence, prosecution, opinion, strategic counseling and litigation
- FDA regulatory and health care compliance: product approvals, advertising and promotion, reimbursement, and fraud and abuse compliance
- Government enforcement: investigations and litigation
- Securities enforcement: litigation and enforcement
- Antitrust: investigations, litigation and counseling
Through a cross-disciplinary approach, we provide medical device companies with straightforward advice tailored to their unique and specific legal and business needs. Our work on behalf of industry participants covers a range of therapeutic areas, including aesthetics, cardiovascular intervention, in vitro diagnostics (IVDs), oncology, ophthalmology, electrostimulation, drug delivery and orthopedics, among others.
With international offices in London, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Seoul and Tokyo, we have extensive experience advising clients on M&A, capital markets and IP matters in Asia, Europe and throughout the world.
Our attorneys have comprehensive experience across the medical device and technology industry, including representation of:
- NxStage Medical in its $2 billion acquisition by Fresenius Medical Care, the world’s largest provider of dialysis products and services.
- Adhesys Medical in its sale to The Grünenthal Group (Grünenthal). Through this acquisition, Grünenthal has obtained the worldwide development and commercialization rights of Adhesys Medical’s highly innovative pipeline of surgical sealants together with the underlying technology platform.
- Wright Medical Technology in its $3.3 billion merger with Tornier NV, creating a new company to be called Wright Medical group NV, based in the Netherlands.
- Codman Neuro, an affiliated global neurosurgery and neurovascular business of Johnson & Johnson, in its acquisition of privately held Irish stroke care company Neuravi Limited.
- A large medical device manufacturer in its connection with the DOJ and SEC’s industry-wide FCPA investigation focusing on the medical device industry. After successfully developing a revamped compliance program for the company, we secured a deferred prosecution agreement with the DOJ and a consent agreement with the SEC covering issues in several countries around the world, including China.
- TRIA Beauty in successfully responding to a Civil Investigative Demand issued by the Federal Trade Commission seeking documents and information regarding the company’s substantiation for certain claims made in the marketing of certain products.
- Lantheus Medical Imaging in its $40 million follow-on offering, with funds slated to pay down approximately $55 million of the outstanding principal balance under its senior secured credit facilities, and its public secondary offering of 3,000,000 shares of its common stock to be offered by certain of its existing stockholders.