With climate change, capacity concerns and other energy-related issues key topics of global interest, established energy companies, entrepreneurs and investors are competing to develop innovative solutions to global energy needs. Ropes & Gray’s integrated energy & cleantech team has the knowledge and experience to address the most complex legal, financial and regulatory challenges facing clients in any energy industry sector.
Our clients include:
Electricity generators and distributors
Energy-related technology companies
Private equity funds, investment companies, advisors and private investors
We provide these clients with legal services covering the full range of their business needs and issues, including:
Patent prosecutions and other intellectual property matters
Mergers & acquisitions
Private equity transactions
Debt and equity offerings
Asset divestitures and acquisitions
Our attorneys have experience supporting energy and cleantech companies in a number of disciplines, including:
- Securities Offerings
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Intellectual Property
- Private Equity and Venture Capital
- Real Estate
- Tampa Electric. Represented the lead underwriters in connection with multiple debt offerings for Tampa Electric Company, a gas and electricity utility company, totaling more than $1.7 billion.
- A123 Systems. Represented the lead underwriters in connection with the IPO of a leading next-generation battery manufacturer. Also represented Deutsche Bank in $108 follow-on and $125 million convertible notes offerings.
- Eversource Energy. Represented Eversource Energy for several years in various public debt offerings totaling more than $2 billion.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- NSTAR. Represented NSTAR, a leading Massachusetts energy provider, in its merger with Northeast Utilities, creating one of the nation’s largest utilities, with an enterprise value totaling $17.5 billion.
- Spectra Energy. Represented Eversource Energy in the Access Northeast Project, an equity investment in Algonquin Gas Transmission LLC (AGT), the owner of a natural gas pipeline. Eversource is joining investors Spectra Energy and National Grid in an effort to grow the capacity of Algonquin’s existing natural gas pipeline across New England and build out liquefied natural gas storage facilities in Acushnet, MA.
- I Squared Capital. Represented I Squared Capital in its acquisition with Veolia Energy of the Kendall Square Power Station, a 256 megawatt producer of electrical and steam energy.
- Solar Power. Methods of manufacturing solar cell arrays; production of amorphous silicon semiconductor materials; novel photovoltaic cells.
- Alternative Power. Microbial digestion for production of cellulosic ethanol; production and utilization of biogas; hybrid vehicle power systems.
- Electric Power. Environmentally-friendly energy storage devices; advanced fuel cell technology; dielectric impregnants; regional electric power distribution, optimization and market pricing; regional electric power load control and disaster prevention; tidal generation of electricity.
- Environmental. Aquifier contamination; oil tanker deballasting residue; atmospheric transformation of fossil fuel combustion products.
Private Equity and Venture Capital
- Encana Oil & Gas. Represented TPG Capital in the $1.8 billion acquisition financing for Encana Oil & Gas’s Oil & Gas Assets.
- Venari. Represented BlackRock Inc. in an investment in Venari, a provider of well drilling, rig maintenance, and marine exploration services.
- Japan Wind Development Company. Represented Bain Capital in its leveraged tender offer buyout of Japan Wind Development Company (JWD), a leading alternative energy firm in Japan.
- Tiverton/Rumford Generation Facility Debt Restructuring. Represent lenders in the debt restructuring (and potential pending foreclosure/acquisition) of two 265-MW plants located at Tiverton, Rhode Island and Rumford, Maine (formerly operated by affiliates of Calpine Corporation).
- Milford Power Ad Hoc Lender/Equity Committee. Represent an ad hoc committee of lenders/equity holders of Milford Power, a 544 MW generation facility in Milford, Connecticut, with respect to assessment of certain strategic options. The members of the committee received the equity in the plant pursuant to a prior debt restructuring.
- Columbia Gas. Mediated $14 billion in natural gas contract disputes in the largest gas transmission bankruptcy in the United States.
- Nomura PFG. Advising Nomura PFG on its bid for Project PRIME, an asset-backed PFI contract relating to the Dept. of Social Security estate. Also, advising Nomura PFG on its bid for Project Steps, a similar bid to that on PRIME, but relating to the Inland Revenue estate.
- New Gulf. Represented New Gulf in the purchase of power plants from American Electric Power.
- Al Sawadi Investment and Tourism LLC. Advising Al Sawadi Investment and Tourism LLC on the US$15 billion Blue City Project in Oman, including the initial US$2.6 billion construction project and a US$1 billion construction financing for Phase 1.