James C. Davis
Jim’s practice focuses on private equity buyouts and strategic M&A, including cross-border transactions, public and private mergers, asset management transactions, acquisitions and divestitures, and corporate governance. He also regularly represents providers of fairness and solvency opinions in connection with dividends, sale-leasebacks and other significant transactions.
Jim is active in pro bono representations and was honored by LAF Chicago as a 2016 Volunteer of the Year.
- Represented Crane 1 Services, a portfolio company of Pfingsten Partners, in its acquisition of Crane Service & Inspections.
- Represented Novanta in its acquisition of Trimble’s ThingMagic division, a provider of RFID technology.
- Represented Equity International in the establishment of a joint venture between its portfolio company GuardeAqui and Kipit Self Storage, each a self-storage operator in Brazil.
- Represented Mitsubishi Bank in its acquisition of Guggenheim Investments’ mutual fund administration business.
- Represented Mitsubishi Bank in its acquisition of UBS Global Asset Management's Administrative Fund Services Business.
- Represented Altamont Capital Partners in its acquisition of a majority stake in Celestite Holdings, a prominent non-standard auto insurance managing general agency.
- Represented Cressey & Company in its sale of Encompass Home Healthcare to HealthSouth Corporation.
- Represented BV Investment Partners in its sale of Butterfield Fulcrum Group and FORS Limited, each a hedge fund administrator, to Mitsubishi Bank.
- Represented Pfingsten Partners in its acquisition of Allied Reliability Group, an international provider of predictive maintenance and condition-based monitoring services.
- Represented TPG Capital and Immucor, Inc. in connection with Immucor’s acquisition of Organ-I, a provider of biotech diagnostics.
- Represented a strategic buyer in its acquisition from a private equity fund of a leading provider of specialist physicians to hospitals.
- Represents leading financial advisors in connection with providing solvency and fairness opinions.
- Co-author, “Delaware Supreme Court confirms effect of majority vote of informed, disinterested stockholders,” International Law Office (February 10, 2016)
- Co-author, “Implied covenant of good faith and scope of arbitration in earnout disputes,” International Law Office (May 27, 2015)
- Co-author, “Appraisal decisions: deal consideration as fair value,” International Law Office’s Corporate/M&A Newsletter (September 17, 2014)
- Co-author, “SEC issues broker-dealer no-action letter for M&A brokers,” International Law Office (July 9, 2014)
- Co-author, “Weak fairness opinion not an independent violation of Revlon duties,” International Law Office (May 3, 2014)
- Co-author, “Cooper terminates Apollo deal,” International Law Office (March 26, 2014)
- Co-author, “The basket case,” International Law Office (November 27, 2013)