James T. Lidbury
Jim Lidbury is a partner of Ropes & Gray LLP and a solicitor in Hong Kong. He has been co-head of the firm’s global Mergers & Acquisitions practice since 2012. He has been resident in the firm’s Hong Kong office since 2013. He was the managing partner of the firm’s Chicago office from 2008 until 2013. Jim works with clients in all aspects of complex M&A, LBO and corporate governance situations.
- Representing the special committee of the board of directors of Taomee Holdings Limited in connection with a management-led going private proposal.
- Represented independent financial adviser to Sears Holdings in connection with the US$2.8 billion transaction to establish Seritage Growth Properties and effect the sale and leaseback of 235 Sears and Kmart stores.
- Represented Starwood Capital and Mammoth Mountain Ski Area in the US$38 million acquisition of Snow Summit and Bear Mountain Ski resorts, completed in 2015.
- Represented Symmetry Medical Inc. in the spin-off of its Symmetry Surgical business and US$450 million sale of its OEM Solutions business to Tecomet Inc., a portfolio company of Genstar Capital.
- Represented The Blackstone Group in the US$625 million take-private of China-based, NASDAQ-listed Pactera Technology International Ltd.
- Represented The Blackstone Group in the acquisition of China-based Suzhou Xinrong-Best Medical Instrument Co., Ltd.
- Advised the Special Committee of Independent Directors of China-based, NASDAQ-listed ChinaEdu Corp. in connection with its privatization by members of the company’s management and McGraw-Hill Education.
- Advised TPG Growth in connection with the sale of Schiff Nutritional International Inc. to Reckitt Benckiser Group for US$1.4 billion.
- Represented Gentex Corporation in the US$700 million acquisition of the HomeLink® business from Johnson Controls, Inc.
- Represented Berkshire Partners and Greenbriar Equity Group in the sale of Electro-Motive Diesel to Caterpillar, Inc. for US$820 million.
- Represented Cressey & Co. in its acquisition of Unitek Information Systems, Inc.
- Represented Cressey & Co. in its acquisition of Strategic Healthcare Programs LLC.
- Represented Cressey & Co. in its acquisition of VetCor Professional Practices LLC.
- Legal 500 (2013-2014)
- The Best Lawyers in America, Mergers & Acquisitions
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2012-2013)
- Illinois Super Lawyer
- BTI Consulting Inc., 2008 Super All-Star Team
- Global Counsel 3000, Chicago’s 25 leading corporate transactional attorneys
- James T. Lidbury and Martin Crisp, “Court holds that common interest privilege governs pre-merger communications,” International Law Office's Corporate/M&A Newsletter (April 29, 2015)
- Co-author, “Oregon court refuses to enforce Delaware exclusive forum selection bylaw”, International Law Office (January 7, 2015)
- James T. Lidbury, C Thomas Brown and Christian J Westra, “Additional guidance on Kahn v M&F Worldwide Corp,” International Law Office (ILO) (November 12, 2014)
- James T. Lidbury and Martin Crisp, “Stockholder plaintiffs must allege "extreme" facts to sustain Revlon process claims,” International Law Office’s Corporate/M&A Newsletter (September 3, 2014)
- James T. Lidbury, “Court highlights liability for tortious interference by buyers and their officers,”International Law Office (ILO) (July 2014)
- James T. Lidbury and James C. Davis, “Earn-out obligations and defence costs,” International Law Office (ILO) (March 12, 2014)
- James T. Lidbury and James C. Davis, “Weak fairness opinion not an independent violation of Revlon duties,” International Law Office (ILO) (March 5, 2014)
- James T. Lidbury, Carl P. Marcellino and Christina Bergeron, “’Liquidity conflict’ rejected; 28% stockholder was not controlling stockholder,” International Law Office (ILO) (January 15, 2014)
- James T. Lidbury, Marko S. Zatylny and James C. Davis, “Fair price can trump unfair process,” International Law Office (ILO) January 15, 2014)
- James T. Lidbury and Jane D. Goldstein, “Process makes perfect,” International Law Office (ILO) (November 13, 2013)
- James T. Lidbury and Christian J. Westra, “The limits of Revlon,” International Law Office (ILO) (November 13, 2013)
- James T. Lidbury and Jane Goldstein, “Process makes perfect,” International Law Office (ILO) (November 13, 2013)
- James T. Lidbury and Jason Freedman, “The unconflicted board and Revlon duties,” International Law Office (ILO) (November 6, 2013)
- Quoted, “Law Firm Ropes & Gray Relocates M&A Co-Head to Asia,” The Wall Street Journal (November 1, 2013)
- Quoted, “Court favors private equity in steakhouse fight,” Fortune (August 21, 2013)