Kendi E. Ozmon
Kendi focuses her practice on representing tax-exempt organizations, including colleges, universities, health care and educational organizations and corporate and family foundations. Her work includes advice on forming and dissolving tax-exempt organizations, IRS examinations, business ventures between non-profit and for-profit organizations, conflicts of interest, executive compensation and charitable giving. Kendi works regularly with the firm’s Health Care Group to address tax issues for our non-profit hospital and academic medical center clients.
- Advised three leading universities in audits conducted as part of IRS college and university compliance initiative.
- Team leader for comprehensive two-year IRS audit of nonprofit organization, concluded with no taxes or penalties assessed.
- Secured abatement of over $2.1 million in penalties and interest for university client through working with IRS.
- Provide tax advice on restructuring non-profit health care systems, including affiliations, mergers, membership substitutions and creation of new parent entities.
- Work with boards and compensation committees on compensation matters unique to tax-exempt organizations, including compliance with IRS “intermediate sanctions” rules.
- Collaborate with for-profit clients to develop efficient structures for their philanthropic efforts, including formation of corporate foundations.
- Assist non-profit organizations with disclosures associated with state and federal filings, with special emphasis on Form 990.
- Advise corporate and family foundations on compliance with private foundation tax rules, particularly in grant making and investments.
- Legal 500 (2015)
- The Best Lawyers in America (2009-2015)