Mark I. Bane
Mark has represented lead lenders and committees in some of the business world’s most prominent Chapter 11 cases, including Enron, Worldcom, Calpine and various airlines. With a focus on corporate restructurings, creditors’ rights, and acquisitions of troubled companies, Mark’s clients include distressed debt and equity investors, hedge funds, troubled companies and their boards of directors, and private equity sponsors and their portfolio companies. In addition, Mark advises committees of lenders and equity investors in both Chapter 11 cases and out of court restructurings, utilizing innovative solutions to advance business objectives, and strategic approaches to value maximization. Mark is the chairman of the firm’s business restructuring department.
- Currently representing Doral Financial Corporation, a former bank holding company now in chapter 11 in the Southern District of New York.
- Representing a financially troubled health care system, with several individual facilities.
- Currently representing investors in the acquisition of financially distressed entities in various industries, including pharmaceuticals, healthcare, and media.
- Represented leading provider of global enterprise communications systems in its acquisition of the multinational enterprise solutions business of what had been North America’s biggest maker of telecom equipment (this bankruptcy involved simultaneous proceedings in the U.S., Canada, and Europe).
- Represented a group of private equity financiers in the section 363 acquisition of substantially all of the assets of the bankruptcy estate of one of the largest modular home builders in North America.
Ad hoc committees
- Representing a tranche of secured lenders in the Momentive Chapter 11 case.
- Represented ad hoc committee of holders of Second Priority Senior Secured Notes of a Mexican satellite operator.
- Represented the ad hoc committee of bondholders of independent network television broadcasting company that owns and operates the largest broadcast television station group in the U.S., reaching over 98 million homes in the U.S. via broadcast, cable, and satellite distribution systems.
- Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business (2013-2015)
- The Best Lawyers in America (2009-2014)
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2008-2014)
- Legal 500 (2014)
- New York Super Lawyers (2006-2014)
- Quoted, “Dip in Bankruptcies Forces Firms to Trim Ranks,” The New York Law Journal (September 3, 2013)