R. Newcomb Stillwell
Newcomb Stillwell is co-managing partner of Ropes & Gray’s Boston office. He principally represents private equity firms in mergers and acquisitions.
Newcomb has been deeply involved in Ropes & Gray’s private equity practice since its inception in the early 80’s and served as the first chair of the Private Equity Group. He has represented Bain Capital since 1992, advising them on multiple transactions of all kinds. His other current major clients include TPG, The Blackstone Group and Summit Partners.
- Represented Blackstone in its acquisition, through its portfolio company Emdeon, Inc., of Capario, Inc., a provider of healthcare revenue cycle management.
- Represented Summit Partners in its acquisition, together with Fleetcor, of Masternaut Group, Europe's largest provider of telematics services to vehicle fleets.
- Represented TPG in its $750 million investment in Chobani, a leading Greek yogurt company.
- Represented Bain Capital in its acquisition of Blackhawk Specialty Tools, LLC, an oil and gas services company focused on cementing and well construction.
- Represented Bain Capital in its $1 billion acquisition of Genpact Ltd., a worldwide business process and technology management service provider.
- Represented The Blackstone Group in its $3 billion acquisition of Emdeon Inc., a payment cycle management solutions company.
- Represented TPG in its investment in Saxo Bank, a Danish investment firm.
- Represented Bain Capital in its $1.8 billion acquisition of Gymboree Corporation, a leading American children’s apparel and accessories retailer.
- Represents TPG in its $1.6 billion acquisition with Goldman Sachs of Ontex NV, a leading provider of consumer brands.
- Represented Bain Capital in its $1.1 billion acquisition of Bellsystem24, the leading call center operator in Japan.
- Represented Bain Capital and The Blackstone Group in their multi-billion acquisition, together with NBC Universal, of the Weather Channel.
- Represented TPG Capital in its $1.3 billion acquisition of Canadian specialty pharmaceutical company, Axcan Pharma, Inc.
- Legal 500 (2013-2014)
- IFLR1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms, Leading Lawyer (2013-2015)
- “Dealmaker of the Year,” Finance Monthly (2012)
- “Dealmaker of the Week,” The American Lawyer (2011)
- The Best Lawyers in America (2006-2014)
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2004-2014)
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2011-2015)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers (2007-2014)
- Who's Who in America