At Ropes & Gray, our mission has always been to provide each client with world-class, individualized service and to be an integral part of our client’s overall success. Our highly skilled business restructuring attorneys achieve that goal by providing superior legal advice to facilitate creative and innovative business solutions that uphold our clients’ values.
For decades, our business restructuring lawyers have represented clients throughout the world, in virtually every form of restructuring, insolvency and workout. The members of Ropes & Gray’s business restructuring department are among the top bankruptcy lawyers in the world. Our partners are widely recognized in publications such as Chambers USA, Chambers UK and The Legal 500 and have received multiple listings in U.S. News – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” and U.S. and U.K. Super Lawyers. The business restructuring practice has been recognized nationally as a “sophisticated, high-quality” practice by Chambers USA. In addition, Ropes & Gray won a 2015 International Financial Law Review “Restructuring Deal of the Year” award for the firm’s representation of AMP in the extension and subsequent equitization of APCOA’s secured credit facilities. Along with these recognitions, one partner is a Fellow of the American College of Bankruptcy.
With attorneys located in offices in Boston, New York, London, Hong Kong and Tokyo, our business restructuring attorneys represent clients seamlessly across the world. Whether helping pursue complex bankruptcy litigation in multiple jurisdictions, or providing practical business restructuring advice, we offer clients the highest level of service, skill and business-oriented guidance around the globe.
Ropes & Gray’s international restructuring team has decades of combined experience working on the largest and most complex European and transatlantic restructurings and insolvencies. Our focus is on distressed investment and restructuring work for long-term strategic investors in the European market, whether they are running loan-to-own strategies, seeking to acquire distressed assets or working out existing positions in leveraged finance, CMBS and high yield assets. Our clients include the special situations groups at a number of top-tier financial institutions, the debt arms of some of the world’s leading private equity houses and a number of large hedge funds. We act on behalf of institutions as creditors, sponsors and new money providers, and also work with their debtor portfolio companies seeking to right-size their capital structures.
Ropes & Gray’s work in Asian markets includes the management of high profile restructuring matters handled on behalf of Suzlon, an India-based alternative energy company, in its restructuring of Foreign Currency Convertible Bonds, and LDK Solar, a China-based manufacturer of solar cell components, in a novel multi-jurisdictional restructuring involving parallel schemes of arrangement in the Cayman Islands, Hong Kong and the U.S. The firm’s work for Suzlon and LDK Solar was recognized at International Financial Law Review’s Asia Awards 2015, which saw Ropes & Gray awarded the “Restructuring Deal of the Year” and “Law Firm Restructuring Team of the Year” awards, and by India Business Law Journal which recognized the Suzlon Energy bond restructuring as a “Deal of the Year.”
Our clients also benefit from the firm’s multidisciplinary approach, utilizing the capabilities of our complementary practice groups, including tax, finance, litigation, intellectual property, corporate, mergers & acquisitions, securities, health care and real estate, to provide a seamless range of services to our clients. We deploy teams drawing on the relevant departmental and market knowledge from all of our offices, with an emphasis on the best senior resources the firm can offer. Through this multidisciplinary approach, we are able to offer cost-efficient solutions to address our clients’ biggest and most complex challenges.
Drawing from our sophisticated and talented group of experienced professionals, the business restructuring team provides the following diverse portfolio of client-related services:
- All forms of bankruptcies, insolvencies, liquidations, restructurings and out-of-court workouts
- Official committees of creditors and/or equity security holders and ad hoc committees of lenders, bondholders and other specialized creditor groups
- Distressed M&A transactions, including the purchase and sale of whole businesses (as going concerns in “section 363 sales” or plan sponsor arrangements) or of key assets, such as real estate, leasehold interests or intellectual property
- Counseling boards of directors, private equity sponsors and their portfolio companies
- Representation of indenture trustees and loan agents in defaults, workouts and U.S. and international bankruptcy and insolvency proceedings
- Contentious insolvency litigation, including litigation regarding leveraged buyouts and dividend recaps, debt and lease recharacterization, breach of fiduciary duty, fraudulent transfers and preferences, and plan confirmation issues
- Bond and loan defaults
- Troubled loan syndications and asset securitizations, mezzanine and second-lien financings, and debtor-in-possession and exit financings
- Enforcement of security under the Uniform Commercial Code and other systems of law
- Acting for bidders in loan portfolio auctions
- Acting for acquirers of claims in the bankruptcy of financial institutions and trading of complex bankruptcy claims