Intellectual property can be a company’s most precious asset, the lifeblood with which an enterprise can develop a product, launch a business and grow. In the knowledge-based industries of today’s global economy, the effective management of intellectual property assets has never been more important.
At the same time, major revisions to patent law and constantly evolving standards for copyright and trademark protection have created new challenges for businesses.
That is where the seasoned team of IP attorneys at Ropes & Gray steps in, navigating clients through a maze of regulations and laws to help them adapt their strategies to this ever-changing landscape.
Unparalleled Knowledge and Service
For generations, clients in every industry have benefited from the knowledge and insights of Ropes & Gray, and the IP firm with which it joined in 2005, Fish & Neave. With one of the most prestigious IP practices in the world, we are regularly relied upon by clients and trusted with their most important and complex IP and technology matters.
Ropes & Gray attorneys continue to build on the firm’s 130-year foundation of excellence in advising businesses and inventors on the adoption of cutting-edge technology. Today, our robust practice combines a sophisticated understanding of the latest legal developments with technical and scientific insights that allow us to understand the competitive environments unique to each client’s industry.
Our team includes 175 attorneys, 35 patent agents and technical advisors, and 60 paralegals who, collectively, have more than 100 advanced degrees, including 42 Ph.D.s in computer science, aerospace engineering, cellular biophysics, polymer science, biomedical engineering and experimental medicine, among other subjects.
We collaborate seamlessly across offices on three continents, and, through our network of relationships with patent attorneys in countries across the globe, provide global clients with real-time IP guidance, asset protection, and local representation anywhere in the world.
By offering a full spectrum of IP-related services – including rights protection (patent counseling, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets and other proprietary rights), licensing and transactions – we are able to assist with all aspects of patent strategy to help clients leverage their patent portfolio most effectively.
Over the past year we filed nearly 2,000 patent applications nationally and internationally, and have represented clients in proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, the European Patent office, industry and regulatory agencies, and patent offices worldwide. We have also advised midsized and large companies and institutions on the creation and management of their IP portfolios. Our attorneys are experienced in handling a wide range of matters including the:
- Identification of intellectual property
- Search for prior art
- Preparation of opinions on patent infringement and product clearance
- Strategic evaluation and management of patent portfolios
- Implementation of worldwide strategies for patent prosecution, maintenance and protection
- Selection and clearance of marks, creative works and other materials
- Application for trademark and copyright protection in the United States and abroad
- Appellate representation of clients before domestic and international administrative and judicial panels
- Assessment of technology transfer practices
- Establishment of brand and media licensing programs
- Licensing of trademarks and copyrights
- Software and data licensing initiatives for multiple distribution channels
- Issues relating to the Hatch Waxman Act and Orange book listing and delisting
- Counseling third party matters
- Representation of clients in Inter Partes Review (IPR) proceedings
What others say about Ropes & Gray’s IP practice:
- 2014 U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers “Law Firm of the Year Award” – based on client and peer feedback for being the leading patent litigation practice in the nation.
- 2014 Legal 500 U.S. - Ranked in tier 5 in the category of "Intellectual property: patent prosecution: utility and design patents," with four recommended attorneys in the field.
- Chambers Asia 2014: Asia’s Leading Lawyers for Business – intellectual property group recognized in China, Japan and South Korea, with multiple attorneys ranked as leaders in the field.
- Chambers Global Awards 2014 – Ropes & Gray named “IP Firm of the Year” finalist.
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” Report 2015 – nationally recognized and highly ranked in biotechnology, trademark law, patent law, patent litigation and intellectual property litigation.