With leading practices across a range of key litigation specialties, Ropes & Gray’s litigators consistently deliver winning results for clients, including multinational conglomerates, private equity firms, pharmaceutical and biotech companies, financial institutions, mutual funds, and hospital systems, as well as their officers and directors.
Our cutting-edge advocacy has put us at the forefront of some of the most important cases in recent years, including:
- Arguing a seminal case for the mutual fund industry before the U.S. Supreme Court
- Securing a complete trial victory for a major investment banking firm in a $600 million high-profile lawsuit
- Winning dismissal, at the start of trial, of all 13 felony charges against a medical device manufacturer in exchange for a misdemeanor guilty plea and a fine
- Garnering the first nonprosecution agreement from the SEC under a new program to encourage cooperation in investigations
- Representing major companies in many of the largest and most highly-publicized data security breaches in history
- Decisively winning one of the most significant patent decisions to date on the issue of inequitable conduct
- Successfully navigating multinationals and their officers and directors through today’s global anticorruption landscape.
Leaders in the Field
Ropes & Gray was ranked in U.S. News – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” 2013 as a top firm for litigation—bankruptcy, commercial, patent, regulatory enforcement and securities—and antitrust law. The firm was also recognized for its litigation work in the 2012 Innovative Lawyers Report published by the Financial Times. In addition, Law360 named us “White Collar Group of the Year” in 2011 and 2012, “Privacy and Consumer Protection Group of the Year” in 2012, and “Securities Group of the Year” in 2010 and 2011. Our litigation group includes fellows of the American College of Trial Lawyers and we are regularly recognized for our leading litigation practices by Chambers USA.
With nearly 400 litigators working in 11 offices worldwide, we have the resources and experience to handle large, sophisticated cases in multiple forums and jurisdictions. Our team of litigators includes former federal prosecutors and SEC enforcement attorneys, as well as veterans of the U.S. Department of Justice, Federal Trade Commission and Office of the Solicitor General. We work hand-in-hand with the firm’s corporate, transactional and regulatory attorneys to provide clients with the strategic solution that best fits their needs.
We understand that sometimes the wisest course of action is to keep a dispute from escalating into a courtroom showdown or being aired in the court of public opinion. Other times, a smart, innovative argument sways a judge or persuades an adversary that there is no choice but to settle. If trial is the best option, our accomplished team of trial attorneys achieves outstanding results for clients in state and federal courts.
Clients regularly look to us for guidance with respect to:
- Antitrust Litigation
- Appellate & Supreme Court
- Commercial Litigation
- Corporate & Shareholder Litigation
- Employment Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- False Claims Act
- Global Investigations & Compliance
- Government Enforcement / White Collar Crime
- Insurance Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Privacy & Data Security
- Securities & Futures Enforcement
- Trade Secret Litigation