Ropes & Gray has been at the forefront of private equity deals practically since the invention of the leveraged buyout. Our commitment to both middle market and multibillion-dollar deals provides us with unique perspective in the private equity industry.
Noteworthy large cap transactions include representation of:
- Silver Lake Partners in its $4.5 billion acquisition of SolarWinds, a provider of powerful and affordable hybrid IT infrastructure management software to customers worldwide.
- TPG Capital and Petco Animal Supplies in the $4.6 billion sale of Petco Animal Supplies to funds affiliated with CVC Capital Partners and Canada Pension Plan Investment Board.
- Kohlberg & Co in the sale of a majority stake in Risk Strategies, one of the largest insurance brokerage and risk management firms in the U.S.
- Bain Capital in the sale of The Weather Company’s product and technology business to IBM in what is one of the largest leveraged buyouts of 2015. The transaction included The Weather Company’s B2B, mobile and cloud-based web properties, WSI and weather.com businesses.
- TPG Capital in its $4 billion acquisition of Life Time Fitness, the operator of 113 fitness centers in the United States and Canada.
- Bain Capital in its $2.4 billion acquisition of Blue Coat Systems, which offers an integrated portfolio of security solutions that protect enterprises against some of today’s most advanced technology threats.
- TPG Capital in its acquisition of a majority stake in Cirque du Soleil, the Canada-based world-renowned lived artistic entertainment producer.
- Berkshire Partners and Lightower Fiber Networks in the latter’s $1.9 billion merger with Fibertech Networks, a provider of fiber optic-based network services throughout mid-size cities in the eastern and central regions of the United States.
- Centerbridge Partners in the $1.4 billion sale of Satelites Mexicanos, S.A. de C.V. to Eutelsat SA, a France based private satellite communications operator.
Noteworthy middle market transactions include representation of:
- Altamont Capital in its acquisition of Excel Fitness Holdings, Inc., the largest Planet Fitness franchisee in Texas operating 18 fitness clubs throughout the Dallas and Austin markets.
- TSG Consumer Partners in its sale of thinkThin, a maker of wholesome protein-rich foods, to Glanbia, the global performance nutrition and ingredients group.
- 3i Group in its buyout of Audley Travel from Equistone Partners Europe. Audley Travel provides tailor-made experiential holidays from the UK and US to over 81 countries.
- Genstar Capital in its acquisition of PSKW, a leading provider of patient prescription medication assistance solutions and payment reimbursement services and the later add-on acquisition of PDR, LLC, one of the most recognizable brands in health care.
- Madison Dearborn Partners as regulatory counsel in its acquisition of a majority interest in Walgreen Infusion Services, one of the largest providers of home and alternate treatment site infusion services in the country.
- Baring Private Equity Asia in its acquisition of a 40% stake in Weetabix Food Company, a U.K. based manufacturer of cereals and cereal bars in a transaction that will expand Weetabix’s operations into China.
- Pfingsten Partners in its acquisition of Crane 1 Services, Inc. in partnership with management. Crane 1 Services, Inc. is a leading independent provider of overhead crane services including inspections, maintenance, repair, design and installation.
- BV Investment Partners in its majority investment in geoLOGIC systems, a leading creator and supplier of data and integrated software solutions to oil and gas exploration and production companies in North America.
- Advent International in its strategic investment in Genoa, a QoL Healthcare Company, serving more than 300,000 patients annually across 35 U.S. states and the District of Columbia.
- Cressey & Co. in the sale of EHHI Holdings, the owner of Encompass Home Health and Hospice, a leading provider of Medicare-focused, skilled home health services in the United States.
With world-leading practices in both private equity funds and private equity transactions, Ropes & Gray is able to provide clients with unsurpassed services in all aspects of the PE industry.
Ropes & Gray’s more than 175 private equity lawyers routinely advise leading large- and middle-market clients in multiple industries on every aspect of their largest and most complex global transactions. Clients retain us again and again for our deep understanding of their needs, issues and goals. They rely on us to help them make the right deals on the right terms, thoughtfully assess risk and make appropriate trade-offs, and respond quickly to meet business demands.
PE Industry Leaders
Ropes & Gray’s award-winning private equity group is regularly ranked among the world’s leading PE practices by Chambers, Dow Jones Private Equity Analyst and others. Our impressive client base includes 22 of the 50 largest U.S. funds and 32 of the 100 largest global funds routinely doing deals over $1 billion. We also counsel more than 35 mid-market firms regularly doing $100 million to $1 billion transactions.
Balanced Practice Between Mid and Large-Cap Deals
Announced PE-Related Transactions
January 2010 – February 2017
(# of transactions)
$100M - $1B
Our clients get integrated global service and creative yet practical solutions to their legal and business challenges. Clients can draw on the rich and deep experience of our lawyers in offices around the world.
- Chambers USA 2016 – Ranked nationwide for private equity. Multiple attorneys are also ranked individually nationwide and in Massachusetts, California, Illinois and New York for private equity and corporate/M&A.
- U.S. News & World Report-Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” 2016 – Selected as “Law Firm of the Year” for “Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law” with 11 attorneys listed as Best Lawyers.
- Legal 500 U.S. 2016 – Ranked highly in the United States for “Private Equity: Buyouts,” with 11 lawyers listed as leaders in the field.
- IFLR1000 2016 – Ranked highly in the U.S., UK, Hong Kong, China and Japan for private equity.
- Law360 Practice Group of the Year (2014) – Recognized as a top private equity practice.
- IFLR Americas Awards (2015) – Honored for “Private Equity Deal of the Year” for the firm’s role in the American Express travel business spinout.
- Vault (2015) – Ranked “Best Law Firm” for Private Equity for the second year in a row
- Chambers Asia-Pacific 2016 – Highly ranked in the Asia-Pacific region for private equity and ranked in China, Japan and South Korea for corporate/M&A.
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015 – Ranked in the top tier in Hong Kong for “Private Equity” practice and as a leading firm in China for “Private Equity/Venture Capital – Foreign Firms” practice, with three attorneys named as leaders in the field.
- IFLR1000 2016. Received top-tier ranking private equity transactions with rankings in China and Hong Kong.
- International Financial Law Review's Asia Awards 2016 – Named the “Private Equity Team of the Year” and “Private Equity Deal of the Year” award for our work on Bain Capital’s tender offer of Japanese mushroom producer Yukiguni Maitake
- Asian Lawyer Awards 2016 – Awarded the “M&A Deal of the Year: North Asia” and “M&A Deal of the Year” for our work on Tesco’s $6.4 billion sale of Korean supermarket chain Homeplus to a consortium led by MBK Partners that included our clients, CIC and a Canadian pension fund, one of the largest private equity transactions of 2015 and the largest buyout ever in South Korea.
Asian Legal Business' Japan Law Awards 2015 – Received the “Equity Market Deal of the Year” for the Skylark initial public offering on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, one of the largest IPOs in Japan in 2014.
- Chambers UK 2016– Ranked once again for “Investment Funds: Private Equity” and “Private Equity: Buyouts,” with three private equity attorneys listed as leaders in their field.
- Legal 500 UK 2015 – Ranked in the U.K. as a leading “Private Equity: Transactions – Large Cap Deal Capability” practice, with two attorneys named as leaders in the field.