Ropes & Gray has been at the forefront of private equity deals practically since the invention of the leveraged buyout. Our commitment to both middle market and multibillion-dollar deals provides us with unique perspective in the private equity industry.
Noteworthy large cap transactions include representation of:
- Bain Capital in its $18 billion consortium buyout of the Toshiba Corp. semiconductor business, the largest Japanese deal since 2011, and the largest private equity and leveraged finance deal ever seen in Asia.
- Bain Capital in its $2.66 billion sale of Carver Korea Co., Ltd., the fastest-growing skincare business in South Korea, to Unilever.
- Intermediate Capital Group in its $5.3 billion consortium buyout of Visma, in Europe’s largest ever software buyout.
- Baring Private Equity Asia in its $1.8 billion sale of Weetabix, one of the largest producers of breakfast cereals and a household brand in the UK, to US-based Post Holdings.
- CCMP Capital Advisors in its acquisition of a controlling interest in Truck Hero, a leading provider of highly functional aftermarket accessories for pickup trucks and Jeeps.
- TPG Capital in connection with its joint investment with Intel Corporation to establish McAfee a spin-out of Intel Security in a transaction valuing the business at $4.2 billion. McAfee is a newly formed, jointly owned independent cybersecurity company. The transaction creates one of the world’s largest pure-play cybersecurity firms.
- Multi Packaging Solutions, a leading global provider of print-based specialty packaging solutions in the $2.3 billion sale of MPS to WestRock Company.
- TPG Capital and Petco Animal Supplies in the $4.6 billion sale of Petco Animal Supplies to funds affiliated with CVC Capital Partners and Canada Pension Plan Investment Board. The transaction is considered to be one of the largest leveraged buyouts and exits of 2016.
- Bain Capital in its $2.4 billion acquisition of Blue Coat Systems, which offers an integrated portfolio of security solutions that protect enterprises against some of today’s most advanced technology threats.
Noteworthy middle market transactions include representation of:
- Bain Capital in its acquisition of Innocor, Inc. a leading designer and manufacturer of advanced foam products for commercial and retail outlets.
- Mediware Information Systems, a portfolio company of TPG Capital, in its acquisition of Kinnser Software, Inc. from Insight Venture Partners.
- Golden Gate Capital in its acquisition of the Bob Evans Restaurants business from Bob Evans Farms, Inc. for $565 million. Bob Evans Restaurants owns and operates more than 500 family restaurants in 18 states.
- China Oceanwide Holdings Group in its acquisition of International Data Group (IDG), including its subsidiaries International Data Corporation (IDC), IDG Communications and IDG Ventures.
- H.I.G. Capital and its portfolio company Surgery Partners, in its $760 million acquisition of National Surgical Healthcare (NSH). Surgery Partners is one of the largest and fastest growing surgical services businesses in the United States. Its combination with NSH created a diversified inpatient and outpatient surgical provider with a portfolio of 125 surgical facilities.
- TSG Consumer Partners in its acquisition of Duckhorn Wine Company. The transaction included all six Duckhorn Wine Company wineries: Duckhorn Vineyards, Goldeneye, Paraduxx, Migration, Decoy and Canvasback, as well as their corresponding properties, and more than 600 acres of estate vineyards, including Three Palms Vineyard in California’s Napa Valley.
With world-leading practices in both private equity funds and private equity transactions, Ropes & Gray is able to provide clients with unsurpassed services in all aspects of the PE industry.
Ropes & Gray’s more than 175 private equity lawyers routinely advise leading large- and middle-market clients in multiple industries on every aspect of their largest and most complex global transactions. Clients retain us again and again for our deep understanding of their needs, issues and goals. They rely on us to help them make the right deals on the right terms, thoughtfully assess risk and make appropriate trade-offs, and respond quickly to meet business demands.
PE Industry Leaders
Ropes & Gray’s award-winning private equity group is regularly ranked among the world’s leading PE practices by Chambers, Legal 500 and others. Our impressive client base includes 21 of the 50 largest U.S. funds and 36 of the 100 largest global funds routinely doing deals over $1 billion. We also counsel more than 80 mid-market firms regularly doing $100 million to $1 billion transactions.
Balanced Practice Between Mid and Large-Cap Deals
Announced PE-Related Transactions
January 2014 – November 2017
(# of transactions)
$100M - $1B
Our clients get integrated global service and creative yet practical solutions to their legal and business challenges. Clients can draw on the rich and deep experience of our lawyers in offices around the world.
- Chambers USA 2016 – Ranked nationwide for private equity. Multiple attorneys are also ranked individually nationwide and in Massachusetts, California, Illinois and New York for private equity and corporate/M&A.
- U.S. News & World Report-Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” 2016 – Selected as “Law Firm of the Year” for “Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law” with 11 attorneys listed as Best Lawyers.
- Legal 500 U.S. 2016 – Ranked highly in the United States for “Private Equity: Buyouts,” with 11 lawyers listed as leaders in the field.
- IFLR1000 2016 – Ranked highly in the U.S., UK, Hong Kong, China and Japan for private equity.
- Law360 Practice Group of the Year (2014) – Recognized as a top private equity practice.
- IFLR Americas Awards (2015) – Honored for “Private Equity Deal of the Year” for the firm’s role in the American Express travel business spinout.
- Vault (2015) – Ranked “Best Law Firm” for Private Equity for the second year in a row
- Chambers Asia-Pacific 2016 – Highly ranked in the Asia-Pacific region for private equity and ranked in China, Japan and South Korea for corporate/M&A.
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015 – Ranked in the top tier in Hong Kong for “Private Equity” practice and as a leading firm in China for “Private Equity/Venture Capital – Foreign Firms” practice, with three attorneys named as leaders in the field.
- IFLR1000 2016. Received top-tier ranking private equity transactions with rankings in China and Hong Kong.
- International Financial Law Review's Asia Awards 2016 – Named the “Private Equity Team of the Year” and “Private Equity Deal of the Year” award for our work on Bain Capital’s tender offer of Japanese mushroom producer Yukiguni Maitake
- Asian Lawyer Awards 2016 – Awarded the “M&A Deal of the Year: North Asia” and “M&A Deal of the Year” for our work on Tesco’s $6.4 billion sale of Korean supermarket chain Homeplus to a consortium led by MBK Partners that included our clients, CIC and a Canadian pension fund, one of the largest private equity transactions of 2015 and the largest buyout ever in South Korea.
Asian Legal Business' Japan Law Awards 2015 – Received the “Equity Market Deal of the Year” for the Skylark initial public offering on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, one of the largest IPOs in Japan in 2014.
- Chambers UK 2016– Ranked once again for “Investment Funds: Private Equity” and “Private Equity: Buyouts,” with three private equity attorneys listed as leaders in their field.
- Legal 500 UK 2015 – Ranked in the U.K. as a leading “Private Equity: Transactions – Large Cap Deal Capability” practice, with two attorneys named as leaders in the field.