Raj has experience in the full spectrum of private investment funds, including buyout funds, venture capital funds, hedge funds, fund of funds, and CBOs. He assists sponsors in forming, operating, and investing such funds, and also represents institutional investors (including endowments, pension funds, fund of funds, private foundations, and family offices) in investing in private investment funds, both in primary and secondary transactions. Clients also rely on Raj for his deep knowledge of M&A and “spinoff” transactions in the financial services industry. Raj is currently co-head of the firm’s Private Investment Funds Group.
- Sponsor clients: ArcLight Capital Partners, Ascent Capital, Covalent Partners, Forest Capital Partners, Moelis Capital Partners, Monitor Clipper Partners, Pacific Equity Partners.
- Investor clients: California Endowment, Columbia University, J.. Paul Getty Trust, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Kamehameha Schools, Makena Capital, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Pepperdine University, Rockefeller Foundation, Stanford University, University of Pennsylvania, University of Virginia.
Raj has also been involved on both sides of “spinoffs” of investment professionals from large financial institutions. He represented Harvard Management Company in connection with employee departures resulting in the formation of Charlesbank Capital, Highfields Capital, Regiment Capital, Adage Capital, Sowood Capital, and Convexity Capital. In addition, he represented the founders of ArcLight Capital Partners in their spinoff from John Hancock, and the founders of Lighthouse Investment Partners in their spinoff from SunTrust Banks, Inc.
- Legal 500 (2013-2014)
The Best Lawyers in America (2009-2014)
Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business (2009-2015)
Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2008-2014)
President, Harvard Law Review
Member, American Law Institute
Elijah Watts Sells Certificate for Performance with High Distinction (November 1982 CPA Examination)
Bronze Medal, Massachusetts Society of Certified Public Accountants (November 1982 CPA Examination)
- John Ayer, Raj Marphatia & Susan Eisenberg, "United States," chapter nine of The Private Equity Review (Law Business Research, 2012)
- Raj Marphatia & Susan Eisenberg, "Overview of Legal and Regulatory Considerations for Investor Relations Professionals," chapter eighteen of The Investor Relations Manual (Private Equity International, 2011)
- Raj Marphatia & Nicole L. Cross, "Political Contributions," chapter ten of The US Private Equity Fund Compliance Guide (Private Equity International, 2010)
- Raj Marphatia & Rachel A. Evans, "European Union Directive on Alternative Investment Fund Managers: Impact on US Fund Managers," chapter twenty four of The US Private Equity Fund Compliance Guide (Private Equity International, 2010)
- Panelist, "The JOBS Act: How It Will Change Fundraising For PE Firms," Dow Jones Webcast (November 2012)