Regina Sam Penti
Regina is a U.S. lawyer and U.K. solicitor. She represents clients across a broad technical spectrum, including medical devices, data security, wireless communications, media applications and digital signal processing. Regina’s practice focuses primarily on portfolio management, product clearance, and defensive strategies, both in the U.S. and internationally. As a U.K. solicitor, Regina represents clients in patent cases before the European Patent Office.
Regina spent several months on secondment as in-house IP Counsel for a major medical device and gained valuable insights that help her anticipate and help address the needs of in-house counsel. Her legal acumen, engineering background, and insights from her in-house combine to enable her to efficiently manage all aspects of the product clearance process, including interfacing with product design teams, analyzing competitor portfolios, and providing freedom-to-operate and enforceability opinions to address intellectual property risks involved in new and existing products. Regina has extensive experience in strategically mining client portfolios to develop claiming strategies that provide defensive and offensive capabilities. Regina also regularly collaborates with partners in the firm’s private equity group to support strategic and private equity acquisitions, including evaluating and addressing risks posed by third-party intellectual property rights.
Prior to joining Ropes, Regina worked as a computer systems architect, an information technology consultant, and a software engineer. She is fluent in several computer programming languages.
- Spent eight months on secondment as in-house IP Counsel to a major medical device company, leading product clearance for several products, devising portfolio development strategies, and negotiating supply and development agreements.
- Wrote and prosecuted patent applications for a networking, data security, and speech company, growing a diverse portfolio that was subsequently acquired by a major defense contractor.
- Represented TPG Capital and Fenwal, Inc. in the sale of Fenwal, a global leader specializing in separation technologies for blood and cell collection and therapy, to Fresenius Kabi.
- Represented a major technology company in licensing negotiations relating to server and distributed storage technology, including assessing infringement claims and successfully identifying patent vulnerabilities that provided leverage in negotiations.
- Represented a major hedge fund in successfully negotiating a technology license and service agreement with a trading signal provider.
- Co-Author, “An Imminent Sea Change Across the Pond: Understanding and Preparing for Europe’s New Unitary Patents and Unified Patent Court (UPC),” Boston Patent Law Association (Winter 2016)