Scott A. Jalowayski
Scott has practiced in Asia since 2000. He is widely recognized as a leading private equity lawyer in the region and has advised on transactions in China, India, Southeast Asia and Japan. In addition to Scott's experience representing private equity funds, he also has deep experience in representing multinationals in cross-border M&A and Joint Venture transactions in a variety of industries including health care, chemicals, solar energy, natural resources, telecommunications, media, retail, and technology.
- Represented Goldman Sachs in its US$100 million convertible bond financing of a subsidiary of HKSE-listed GCL New Energy Holdings Limited, a leading developer and operator of renewable energy projects in the PRC.
- Represented the buyer consortium consisting of TPG and the Chairman of NYSE-listed ShangPharma Corporation in ShangPharma’s 13e-3 going-private transaction valued at approximately US$180 million.
- Represented TPG and its portfolio company, Nexeo Solutions LLC, in Nexeo's joint venture with the executives of Beijing Plaschem.
- Represented Bain Capital in the US$489 million sale of Shanghai-based Feixiang Chemicals to Rhodia S.A.
- Represented D. E. Shaw, as the majority exchangeable bondholders in connection with the US$3.4 billion consolidation of Jiangsu Zhongneng and HKSE-Iisted GCL-Poly Energy. This transaction was awarded Asian Legal Business China 2009 M&A Deal of the Year.
- Represented Quanta Computer in its joint venture with The 3M Company to manufacture and market touch screen technology solutions.
- Represented a global investment bank in its equity investment in a leading provider of web, video and search analytics solutions.
- Represented a global investment bank in the financing of a specialty pharmaceutical business which develops therapeutics for infectious diseases.
- Advised The Carlyle Group in its purchase of a stake in Metropolis Healthcare Limited, a Mumbai-based chain of pathology laboratories, from Dr. GSK Velu and affiliates.
- Represented a global investment bank in a US$100 million financing of an Indian-based wind turbine power plant developer. The financing included an issuance of BSE-listed NCDs, offshore debt, and warrants.
- Represented a global investment bank in the acquisition of core franchisees of two leading braded quick service restaurant chains operating hundreds of outlets in India and Sri Lanka.
- Represented TPG and its portfolio company, TE Asia Healthcare, in its joint venture with TalkMed Group Limited, a Singapore listed company providing medical oncology and palliative care services, for the purpose of establishing the Hong Kong Integrated Oncology Centre.
- Represented an alternative asset manager as a senior secured lender in connection with the financing of the leveraged buyout of CAMGSM, Cambodia’s largest mobile telecommunications service provider.
- Represented a global investment firm in its agreement to sell a portfolio of real estate assets, which contain hotels, throughout Japan.
- Represented a global multi-strategy investor in its sale of a 267-room Tokyo hotel.
- Represented a global private equity fund in its potential acquisition of a Japanese self-storage business.
- Represented a global private equity fund in its potential acquisition of a Japanese consumer products business out of bankruptcy.
- Represented TPG in its joint venture with Fortress to purchase a portfolio of properties from Citi Principal.
- Represented a hedge fund investor in the sale of an apartment complex in Japan.
- Co-author, “M&A Litigation Goes Global,”Insights (May 2013)
- “A Private-Equity Boost for China,”Wall Street Journal (April 3, 2013)
- “Spotlight On Private Equity In Asia 2012,”Law360 (March 2012)
- Featured in Q&A: “Deal Maker Spotlight,” Global M&A (May 2011)
- “A Better Stimulus for China,” Wall Street Journal (November 20, 2008)