Tom is a partner in the asset management group and head of the firm’s funds practice in EMEA. He is a specialist in the international structuring, marketing and operation of private funds and private fund managers across a broad range of strategies and jurisdictions. He is also highly experienced in the structuring of sponsor-to-sponsor M&A, joint ventures, structured secondaries, separate managed accounts and co-investments.
Tom is consistently recognised as a leading investment management lawyer by clients and peers, and in industry publications such as Legal 500 and Chambers UK. He has been identified by IFLR as a “rising star” and by PEI’s Private Fund Manager as one of the global private fund industry’s top 30 under 40.
Tom is a member of the legal and accounting committee of the British Venture Capital Association (BVCA), having previously served on the regulatory committees of the BVCA and Investment Europe. Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Tom served as an investment funds partner at other global law firms in London and New York, and also as an in-house funds lawyer and Europe and Africa CCO at The Carlyle Group.
- Advised Averna Capital on its investment in ClimateCare, a leading profit with purpose environmental and social impact company headquartered in Oxford, UK
Tom's experience prior to joining Ropes & Gray includes advising:
- A global asset management firm on the sale of a European credit focused asset management business to another European-based asset manager
- A first time fund manager on the formation of a new UK-based growth manager and first fundraise
- A global real estate manager on the formation of various of its real estate funds, including closed- and open-ended funds focused on Europe and Asia and certain separate managed accounts
- An Asia-based first time fund manager on the structuring of their new firm and first time Greater China focused fundraise
- A global resources manager on the formation of its global energy fund and renewables fund
- A European real estate asset management firm on the formation of their latest flagship fund
- A global diversified asset manager on multiple private equity fundraises, including with respect to US, Europe and Asia buyout, and growth and venture products
- A global asset management firm on the sale of a European credit focused asset management business to another European-based asset manager and related secondary process
- A number of private fund investors, including middle east sovereign investors and Canadian pension funds, on their commitments into numerous private funds, including keystone investments in the private equity, real estate and credit sectors, and separate managed account and coinvestment arrangements
- Editor and author,Global Investment Funds: A Practical Guide to Structuring, Raising and Managing Funds, (2017)
- Author, Juris News: Investment Management: If it looks like a fund and sounds like a fund… An Analysis of the Definition of an AIF in the Non-Traditional Alternative Investment Space, (2015)
- Tom taught a module on “Private Equity” for the LLM at King’s College, London
DisclaimerRopes & Gray International LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in Delaware, United States of America and is a recognised body regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (with registered number 521000).
- LPC, Oxford Institute of Legal Practice, 2003
- PgDL, BBP Law School, London, 2002
- BSc (Hons) (Politcs), University of Bristol, 2001