Samantha Barrett Badlam
Samantha Barrett Badlam is counsel in the government enforcement group of Ropes & Gray. She joined the firm in 2006. Samantha’s practice focuses in the area of white collar defense in criminal and civil matters. Samantha has extensive experience in representing multinational corporations and their executives in internal and government investigations of potential violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. She also dedicates a significant portion of her practice providing advice to clients on compliance matters, and has worked with clients in many sectors including energy, health care, life sciences, and financial services. In addition, Samantha has represented individuals and corporate clients in connection with government investigations involving health care fraud, kickback violations, off-label marketing practices, and False Claim Act violations.
- Conducting an internal investigation on behalf of a multinational oil & gas services company into allegations stemming from the Operation Car Wash (Lava Jato) investigation, which has attracted the interest of domestic and foreign regulators.
- Representing a senior executive of a professional services company in the energy sector in a DOJ and SEC investigation into the company’s activities in the Middle East and Africa for potential FCPA violations.
- Developed a comprehensive global anti-corruption compliance program for a multi-national exploration and production energy company based on global corporate-level and market-level anti-corruption risk assessments.
- Represented the former CFO of a multinational oil and gas company during a DOJ and SEC investigation into the company’s activities in Argentina through a Joint Venture Company for FCPA violations.
- Conducted compliance investigations related to the FCPA, UK Bribery Act, and internal compliance policies and procedures for multinational oil & gas services company.
- Conducted proactive compliance reviews into anti-corruption related matters for multi-national exploration and production energy company.
- Represented major pharmaceutical manufacturer in multi-year wide-ranging criminal and civil investigation into Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act allegations and kickback allegations.
- Represented Assistant General Counsel of major pharmaceutical company in DOJ prosecution of obstruction and false statements charges.
- Represented a U.S.-based multinational medical device company in an industry-wide FCPA investigation.
- Represented an international pharmaceutical company in a multi-state Attorneys General investigation into consumer protection violations related to alleged fraudulent marketing and promotional practices.
- Represented Chairman and CEO of medical device manufacturer in DOJ investigation of potential off label promotional activities.
- Defended a major medical device company in connection with alleged FCA claims, including obtaining a summary dismissal of a qui tam action filed in federal court in the Southern District of Texas.
- Co-author, “Anti-Corruption In Mexico: Reasons For Cautious Optimism,” Law360 (November 29, 2017)
- Speaker, “Round Table Discussion: Anti-Corruption Initiatives in Mexico,” Ropes & Gray, Von Wobeser y Sierra and ICC México Round Table Discussion, Mexico City, Mexico (September 18, 2017)
- Co-Host, “The Trump Administration’s First 100 Days,” Roundtable Discussion, Washington, D.C. (May 9, 2017)
- Co-Host, “A Private Conversation About Data Privacy,” Roundtable Discussion, Washington, D.C. (March 22, 2017)
- Co-Host, “Challenges of Serving as In-House Counsel,” Roundtable Discussion, Washington, D.C. (March 1, 2016)